SG-X review by Gibson

Gibson: SG-X

The sound is amazing. I've read quite allot about this guitar and almost everyone thinks that the guitar doesn't sound so good with clean settings on, but I really love the cleans on this baby! And with distortion it really shines, oh baby it can blow down an audience! It has a full warm sound, which is what you get when you mix mahogany with humbuckers. I play mostly thrash-metal but I also play rock, punk, pop and more. And I think it fits 'em all, just tweak with the tone-knob and the coil-tap and you'll get what you want. I use an old Marshall called Master Reverb 30 (made '86), which sounds really good in clean mode and thrashy/stoner in distorted mode. I also use it through a Zoom 7.1ut and you can get every sound you would ever want throgh that (but it needs quite much tweaking).

I mainly play thrash-metal and this baby fits it damn good. I can tell you that I'm no expert of playing but I know a lot of guitars. This is my first Gibson but I've played some before and I really love the quality of 'em. I own a modified Gregg Bennett Avion 3, a modified Ibanez Roadstar II and as you see I like to modify my guitars, what should I do with this one (maybe strip the neck down to the wood, that wold look nice). If it were stolen I would be damn sad because I'm a student and as we all know students are quite poor so it would be hard for me to get money for a new guitar, but if I had the money I would definitely get the same model again if I could find a new one. Actually I love everything about it, of course it could have tonepros bridge and tailpiece, sperzel tuners and other extravagant features but what the hek, it does what it suppose to do! When I was in the store I was there to try an Epiphone Firebird Studio (limited) but the neck was heavy and the bodyshape wasn't made for my knee, so I tried almost every guitar theyv'e had and the one that was the nicest was actually an cheap Epi SG. So I went to another store to try this SG and damn I'm glad I did. So if you find any of these guitars, try 'em and you'll probably go home happy with a new guitar.

This baby WILL stand a Live gig, that's fore sure. Unless you throw it into the ground with the neck first, real hard. It's build like a tank. The only thing that's bad is that it has small strapbuttons, but as always you should change them to strap-locks. The finish seems good, and I think it's nitro-celulose, and it will wear of in time just as it should. So gig with it without a backup, if you don't wanna destroy it on stage.

I don't know how it was set at the factory as I bought it 2nd-hand. When I got it the action was a little too high for me, but just a little (even though it was quite low). The pickup was a little low, so I raised it a bit. It looks like the frets were taken care of not long before I got it. The neck was straight as an arrow. The body and headstock had a few dings, witch I prefer (I like when you see that they have been used). When I got it I were going to clean it a bit, but didn't think before I did it, I used a little deodurant spray because I thought I smelled a little bad and it wasn't good for the laquer and I got two circle shaped marks on it. But they doesn't show so much thou.

The guitar was made in Nashville, Tennessee (in the USA if you didn't know). It has a 24 3/4" scale neck with 24 frets, which looks like narrow jumbo frets to me. The neck is fat like a baseballbat and has a rosewood fretboard. Both the neck and body is in mahogany as Gibson usualy uses. Mine is a clean black (called ebony) finish but also was made in a finish called 'Dark Wineburst'. The brige is a Tune-O-Matic as usual for the SG models. The tuners are Die-Cast I think. It only has one microphone and it's in brige position, it's a 500T humbucker. The controls are simple, 1 tone, 1 volume and a coil-tap switch.

JD Close
    meh...i dont like the fat bottom
    As the many fat chics i rejected can tell you, i dont either That... um... had nothing to do with women... right.
    ac/dc#1fan
    yeah,it doesnt have a really good look...w8...wut the hell is wrong with me?! This guitar is ugly! lol.but hey,i played one,and all looks aside,its actually not that bad of a guitar.
    stuartstratford
    WHO GIVE A FLYING FOOK ABOUT THE SPELLING what maters is that is is a great revew i understood it and got an overall good impression photo colour is a bit bad though i think it would look quite nice in black with a white pickguard
    Lamrick21
    Wow you guys are jackasses. Some people have different words for things. Its no worse than saying "go over yonder" when your in new york. give the guy a break.
    HighPotency
    Wow you guys are retarded. He's writing english very well for a swede. Besides, brits call pants knickers and we dont give 'em a hard time about it. Plus, look at the link to the REAL picture, not the ivory. Ignorance galore on this review.
    richard_edwards
    fretsonfire74 wrote: You sprayed deodourant on it? Who cares if it smells bad?
    my friend bought a cheap crafter once, and, no joke, he got it out of the box and it stank of piss.
    lovejon2death
    I love SG's (I have one) so finding this review on the SG-X was the icing on the cake. And although the review wasn't the greatest I'm glad you did it. The deodorant was a bonehead move though sorry.
    warrenguitar
    Wicked guitar!!! Cant go wrong with a Gibson SG. This one is really great, please tell me it comes in a color besides yellow! My friend bought one (in yellow) and is majorly impresssed!
    AshSGUser
    i love the sg model would love to own this model myself but cant find one anywhere in the uk
    Rockstar Max
    I only heard about this guitar recently (Alex from All Time Low uses one) but i haven't seen any anywhere? anyone got any ideas? plus the colours are wicked x
    MaggaraMarine
    wurzel1981 wrote: You used deodorant on a nitro-cell finish? Are you ever so slightly insane? Anyways gotta go and replace my EMG pickups with some microphones, now where did I put my router and saw?
    C'mon guys!! In Finland we call the pickups microphones and didn't you know that guitar pickups are like microphones. They work the same way.
    The Tinman
    Hell, I kinda like the picture of it...and I've called pickups microphones, only because it basically explains their purpose to those who don't know much about guitar. And about the deodurant, if it really stinks, you have to do something about it, I don't blame you.
    kingofnima
    dilbert_5150 wrote: it looks gay
    If you ask me calling pickups microphone is ok but calling a guitar by a sexual preference is the dampest thing I have ever heard off!!!
    Lix!!
    meh...i dont like the fat bottom, thats alot of extra guitar that serves for nothing but a stupid looking body.....but eveyones got differant taste...lol thats just me and ya take it easy on the guy..."microphone" instead of pickup. lol w/e human error does occure lol
    banter
    oakn wrote: brado: Offcourse I meant pickup, I'm quite sure you can find a lot more misspellings
    its hardly a spelling mistake, you used a completely different word
    wurzel1981
    mantyce
    I thought I smelled a little bad
    Yup, you stink alright...as a reviewer, as a grammarian, and as a guitar cleaner.
    J.J.G.
    mantyce wrote: 1. Ugly as sin. 2. First guitar I've ever heard of that you get to sing into while playing! WOW! What are you doing on a guitar site, reviewing a guitar, when you refer to the pickup as a microphone?? That's like stating you "axe" really can double to chop down a tree!
    lol woodcuting axe.. nice one
    Lasyk
    yea its a Nitrocellulose finish (or spelt something like that) all gibson models have a nitro finish because it doesnt totally seal the wood, so it ages naturally and its a WAY thinner coat than polyeurathane(once again...spelt something like that) so it doesnt disturb the natural vibration of the wood.
    phillyguitar
    yo everyone chill with the microphone thing, this isn't the New York Times it's Ultimate Guitar. People will make mistakes, spelling errors, and Freudian slips. If you don't like it write your own review
    oakn
    One more thing. "It's Summer with a capital "S," which stands for Surf, which means the new Gibson SG-X is here." WTF? I did NOT write a review for the "Gibson SG-X Summer Beach Series". And with the "new Gibson SG-X is here", new? NEW? It isn't new at all, didn't Gibson stop producing them like 7 years ago?
    Ginger-les-tom
    omg.....that looks.....absoloutely.....ugly as f%&k, ive seen roadkill that i'd rather play, looks to me like a cheese wedge with strings on it.
    oakn
    For those of you that post "ugly", I really hope that you take a look at the SG-X and not the Summer Beach Series which UG thought I was writing about.
    Korzack
    That colour isn't the best, but tbh it still looks all right. I just wish they'd release a few more of the Junior style guitars in Blighty - Maybe 1 for each of their range would be a great one, although I'd just love to have a junior V
    mantyce
    oakn wrote: on the microphone shit, I'm from sweden and over here a guitar pickup i called a guitar microphone (on swedish = gitarrmikrofon). Sorry for bringing some faults into your perfect language. And one thing that makes me quite pissed, why did UG pick the wrong model-picture? This is how the SG-X looks like: http://www.everythingsg.com/images/ident... And on the deudorant thing, yeah I feel really stupid. But I'm atleast honest, probably most of you wouldn't write if you did anything wrong. (I'm used to poly laquers and didn't think before I did what I did)
    Relax man...we're just razzin' ya. The link you sent to the black one is sweet! Now THAT'S a nice SG!
    Multiplayerjon
    Lol I Read all these comments... i have no life... it doesn't matter what the hell the guy calls his pick-ups as long as he knows what they do