SG-X review by Gibson

Gibson: SG-X

Purchased from: Ebay

I mostly play indie/rock/pop/punk music in my band Euralea! So I have to have something that can play nice clean chords and sound heavy, which it does. I play alot more lead work than most Indie bands do so it has to deliver in that department... Which it does. I was really That concerned with how it was going to sound when I bought it, just because they're so rare and I really really want one. I'm collecting them now. But I have Never heard a guitar sound this big before. I plug it into my Marshall valvestate avt 50h and crank it to 11 and it roars. It has something to do with how the wood in the body and the neck resonates so well and how the pickup "picks up" all of that. It sounds Amazing. I also make more shreddy instrumentals in my off time and this guitar isnt the ideal guitar for some vai sounding stuff but it certainly works! I just played the National anthem on it last night at a ballpark and it sounded great! It might be the best sounding guitar I own.

Like I said, I play Indie punk for Euralea! And I do my own Instrumental stuff and it fits fine for both. I've been playing for about 5 years. If this guitar gets stolen I MIGHT she'd a tear! It's that awesome. I would definitely start searching for a new one but who knows how long that could take because these guitars are so hard to find. Even though it's what you could call a "Low Grade Gibson", it feels like a $2000 guitar. These guitars originally sold for what, a couple hundred bucks or so when they first came out? And now they're selling for around 800 bucks a piece. Sheesh. I was lucky with my price of $500. That also included a hard shell case with grey fuzzy interior that looks great! I don't really care that much about cases but I'm glad I got it! All in all I'm Very happy with it and will buy more SG-X's in the future because for some reason I'm attached to them. Need more! I might buy a white pick guard in the future to Switch out the old black one, but I'll keep the old one just in case I sell the guitar. Hopefully this review helps anybody who was wondering about a SG-X!

I've been playing this guitar a ton. For bands practices, it has turned into my go-to guitar. I play gigs with it all the time and it shows no sign of stopping. The action hasn't moved and none of the electronics have gone out. I haven't had any need to install strap locks yet, which I usually do. All of my other guitars have them. The strap just stays on. The finish has came off at all either. I'm going to hold onto this guitar for a while and sell it sometime way off in the future when the value goes up and up... But honestly I don't know if I'll be able to sell it! It plays so good and matches my style perfectly. We have to do the occasional All Time Low cover and of course this guitar will sound perfect there! This guitar is as solid as a rock. The tuning doesn't even go out that much. I tune it about once a week and it's fine!

I had it shipped to me so the seller tuned all the strings down. When I got it I tuned it up and that was it. Action was perfect. Didn't have to adjust the pickup height because it was right where I like it. It has a couple dings but nothing that takes the paint off. Just those dents in the finish you get from bumping into stuff. No rusted parts at all. The guitar looks amazing and plays like a dream.

My SG-X is a 1999 which was the last year Gibson made them. It has an army green finish with a black pick guard. One Volume knob, one Tone knob and a toggle Switch to coil tap the one humbucker it has. 24 fret set neck. Whole thing is made from mahogany, but because it's an SG it's relatively light. (Thin body). It also has a tune-o-matic bridge. That's all she wrote! The only reason I gave this a 9 out of 10 was because I really want a sea-foam green one. I found this one on ebay and had to have it. And to be honest, I'm lucky I found one in any shade of green!