SG '61 Reissue review by Gibson

Gibson: SG '61 Reissue

Purchased from: Ebay

I absolutely love the 57 classic pickups, the tone is amazing with every amp I have used it with. The bridge tone is quite bright with plenty of bite, the neck tone is muddier but still has lots of definition and power. My favourite tone comes from the neck rolled right back and both pickups selected.

I play a wide range of music and I find with the right amp this guitar can cope with anything, I've had 15 guitars now, my last 3 have been les pauls, but I have enjoyed playing this SG the most. I almost bought the Standard because I like the bigger pick guard but decided that as I could afford the 61 RI I should buy it, and I'm glad I did. This is a very light instrument, and that is the only down side for me, I really like the weight of a Les Paul, so if this was stolen I might pick up another LP instead, if I did I would definetly fit it 57 classics.

This is a very dependable guitar, it gives me so much confidence that I have sold the tele I used as back up. I didn't even feel the need for schaller type strap locks, I just use the plastic Dunlop type. I am very heavy handed and this guitar looks very elegant and delicate but it can withstand a good bashing by my shovel hands. Some people have said the shallow neck joint is a problem but I have found it to be solid, it also gives you excellent access to the lower frets.

This guitar is built to last, the knobs feel very sturdy and precise, the binding and inlays are spot on. It has a wonderful one piece mahogany body, larger '60s style headstock and small type pick guard. The figuring on the one piece body is to die for. I couldn't fault it in the looks department.

This was made in December 2005 in Nashville. It has a slim 60s neck, 57 classic pickups, mahogony body and neck, rose wood fret board, chery paint and nitro finish. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2 volume and 2 tone pots with a 3 way selector. It came with the case and owners manual.

mjj4
    is the 61 reissue headstock heavy? or is the balancing point just right?
    cj10schmelzer
    I've always wondered, why are the reissues close to being just as good as they were back then, but modern standards arent as good as previous standards?
    Austin227
    For the guy that said standard got nothing on this.... standards suck nowadays.... you have to buy from the custom shop if you want quality... the 61' reissue is quality
    dexfx69
    As an owner of 3 SGs, this one is a classic. Great tone, feel and looks. Top quality. What more could you ask for?
    dexfx69
    mjj4 wrote: is the 61 reissue headstock heavy? or is the balancing point just right?
    The headstock is larger than current SG models. It does not add significantly to the weight.
    Scullins_61
    I payed 1437.00 It's my first electric and I love it ! I'm a quality first type so I figured this fit my pesonality ! Oh yeh I'm a begginer sorry.....
    Scullins_61
    I just bought my 61 reissue , got a killer deal ! I am a begginer and I resurched the hell out of things and decided this modle was all me . The set neck makes me nervous because I got some warp the first time I layed into it . But I gotta say that anyone who knows what they are doin with one of these is gonna make some awsome things happen ! Can't wait to rock my first song big time !
    vanklef92
    as far as tapping goes, its great...if you have the right action. Just like with any guitar, there are many things that can effect that. I have an Epi SG Custom, and it plays better then a Gibson Standerd that i played. I dont know how the new reissue is, but if it has a mildly playable neck(which im pretty sure it does), then with the right strings and action, you should be fine. I have no tapping problems on mine.
    AC/DCRock
    which guitar should i buy the SG Standard the 61 reissue SG or the Angus Young Signature Model SG
    SmoothHead
    http://www.tonepros.com/ - But, PLEASE keep your original bridge/tail in the case. The neck plays (Vintage 10s) with near ZERO relief & is truly the fastest on earth. Sustain? Simply AMAZING... Enjoy!
    craigeater
    i love this guitar i bought it at long and mcquade in markham for $1250.00 its very nice
    fr33t0m
    I love my 61 reissue, It has that thick deep tone with a nice metal bite to it. By far my favorite guitar, and I'll keep it forever. I wish the price wasn't so high, but mine was handed down so hopefully It won't get stolen.
    AC/DCRock
    the pic at the top of the page is wrong the 61 reissue only comes in Heritage cherry according to gibsons website but i saw a mettalic blue one
    damskippy
    Skynyrdman1958 wrote: Ya know I bought this not knowing what it was. I wanted a white guitar and it happened to be Alpine white. Now most of the time I'm playing this at shows or using it to record songs.
    How could you not know what an SG is?
    damskippy
    Culaki wrote: How is the guitar for tapping? Because I looked through the comments and I don't think I saw anything. But I do enjoy playing a little bit of Eruption on my Ibanez SZ-320 Gold Top and it's quite wonderful, but I've been told that the SG uses too thin of wood for the neck, and the sound would be better if it was a set in neck, one-piece. Is that true? Thanks for your time, guys.
    All Gison SGs have a set neck.
    Culaki
    damskippy
    I cannot believe Gibson would build this guitar without an ebony fretboard.It may be a fine guitar, but I believe their quality is slipping.As a card carrying Gibson freak, I've just got to say I think they should step up to the real guitar plate instead worrying about putting their name on a video game toy.
    Skynyrdman1958
    mp3stalin
    i picked this guitar up at a local shop that lost its gibson labels so it wanted to clear out the Gibson stuff. i got it for $1400. it was worth every damn penny. the best guitar on earth. i love it with every once of life in my body. if it was stolen, i wouldnt buy another, i'd buy a bloodhound and find the thief and get my SG back.
    CrookedFingers
    I ordered this as the guitar of the week with antique walnut stain, 1,599USD... Should be here tomorrow... I can't wait.
    scooterscoots
    I bought the Gibson Guitar of the week (week 6) the Classic 57's with a antique ebony finish. Gold hardware. Its amazing, the tone in any amp like was said above its just killer man, the neck is smooth, i dont know why but its actually easier to play on that most SG's. the thin neck is a great addition. overall a great guitar.
    adamshakermaker
    I didn't find this one neck heavy at all, I have since sold it and bought a Les Paul, but I also think it was the best guitar I have ever played.
    StratSlinger421
    It is pretty heavy. The body is right on your waist and the neck extends pretty far out. But the sound of it is unparalelled. i was floored by the tone and the tonal versatility as well. It is probably the best guitar that I have ever played. No lie.
    SG3390
    This is an amazing guitar, but its annoying to me when people give a guitar a 10 on features, when it has 22 frets, not 24, a fairly basic p/up configuration, set-neck, not thru-neck, etc., etc. It is an awesome guitar, but not because of it's features. Come on people, write fair reviews, don't just try to pump up the score of your favorite guitar.