SG '61 Reissue review by Gibson

Gibson: SG '61 Reissue

I love the late '60s and '70s music aka classic rock and the blues very much. That's my generation. Yes, Clapton, Zeppelin, Doors, etc, all of it sounds well on the guitar. Even if you enjoy metal, or punk, or '50s stuff, it's amazing. I use a Marshall Half Stack and a Marshall Micro Stack on it. The guitar can scream and it sounds real good on a real nice amp. The neck pick up doesnt't get any cleaner that any other guitar. It rings like a bell which I have been looking for in all of my guitars. The Bridge pick up is also great. In cleanliness wise, both sound a little different, but I keep the bridge on 0 so I can get Clapton's woman tone when I play. This guitar is a freakin' tank in music wise. I doubt you can find a better sounding guitar than this one. The strings I recommend putting on this guitar are Gibson Vintage size 10. The ones that came on it. My first set of '57s by the way.

I have been playing for 10 years. I am 18 years old. If I had to chose 1 guitar that I had to play for all eternity, it would be the SG. Maybe the ES 335 block but you get my point. I someone stoll this guitar, not only would I be heart-broken, but I would go out the day or next day I found out it was stolen and buy the same exact guitar. I bought this guitar on accident. I was looking for a Highway One Stratocaster or any other guitar no more than 1G. After trying out literally 7 guitars. I saw this one which caught my eye liek it was the only thing in the store and picked it up. The second I took it of the rack and held it which took almost 4 seconds, I feel in mad love with it and I said to the salesman this is it. Every customer and employee complemented on the guitar and my taste. I recommend this guitar very, very dearly. I don't regret buying this guitar at all.

Again, this guitar is a tank. This guitar can withstand Live playing and drops. Yes, drops, I know that because my father had a real 61 SG which he wouldn't give me, bastard, but he said he dropped it twice from standing. The only thing that you can see on that guitar from that drop is a little dent in the wood that you can barely see and a buffered out scratch. I'm 100% sure the 2008 guitar can survive being ran over by a truck. I play at gigs a lot now, and this is my work horse. The only back up guitar I bring is my Stratocaster just so I can get a different tone. My father played his guitar everyday and he still does. He loves it more than me and my mother. He got it when he was 10 by the way if you were curious why he loves it so much. If that guitar can take on 50 years and more. I am sure the 2008 Gibson SG 61 Reissue guitar can last 150 years and more. The only thing I would be concerned about are the strap buttons because that was obviously the reason why he dropped it.

Like I said, the guitar is very strong and everything feels great. Everything is put in nice and tight. There is no buzz what so ever. If your wondering about the kick ass tuners, they are the greatest. The frets are great, the wood is pure, there is nothing to blame about. The only thing that I feel wierd about is the nut which is actually good but I've just had a lot of trouble with them for some reason. You have nothing to worry about.

To be honest, if you had 6 electric guitars, and one of them were the 61 Reissue and another was an American Strat or Tele, that would be all you need. This guitar has a wide 60s neck which feels absolutly great. The tuners are the best part of the coolest part of the visual part of the guitar and they also work really well. The red finish just blows me and everyone else away. When I wake up in the morning or open the case befroe a gig, my heart drops from the beauty.Even the knobs feel good not to tight and not too loose. I find this guitar very sturdy and reliable.