SG '61 Reissue review by Gibson

Gibson: SG '61 Reissue

Price paid: A$ 2300

Purchased from: Local store

This guitar suites every style of music I play. It is mainly used for classic rock, It can also do sparkling cleans, metal, blues, jazz. I use it with a Marshall DSL401 at the moment and occasionally a GT-8. The guitar sounds superb, it has for me just enough sustain and the 57 PAF's make a subtle yet noticable difference in the sound compared to the Standard SG or others with say p90s. The rythm/treble selector works as it should.

I play rock and metal and some shreddy stuff too, this guitar handles all relatively well. This guitar feels so natural to me now, although I wished I had played some more guitars before buying it, but at the moment I would'nt trade it for anything. If it were stolen or lost I would probably look at either a PRS, Jackson or another of these (don't let it be stolen, these are a little overpriced).

This guitar will be dented with every knock so take care of it. The finish has lasted perfectly although there is some corrosion on the bridge and bridge pickup which is inevitable. The strap buttons are a little small and unless you have a locking strap then this will fall off occasionally. Over all very reliable.

The action was set up properly when I bought it, although the pickups were a little high occasionally buzzing on the strings. (Simply screw them down a little if this is an issue) The tone and volume controls on mine were poorly built or damaged in transport, this is not what you would expect in a guitar which is slightly overpriced such as this. It in no way affects the instrument other than not having smooth controls.

Made in USA. 22 frets, Mahogany Body and neck with a rosewood fretbored. 1.695" Nut, Nickle plating and 2 Classic 57's PAF humbukers. Comes in Heritage cherry. Nitro finish. Tunomatic bridge. 2x volume and 2x tone and a 3 way selector. Double cut away. The neck is extremely thin and it makes a huge difference, some people have played it and tell me it is too thin and they have trouble with chords or just playing, I find other necks too big and clumsy to play on now and this seems just perfect. See for yourself.

tpw66
    Just picked up one of these for $999 in the black finish looking forward to getting ,tried istandard 2010 model but the baseball bat neck wasn't to my liking. I am sure this'll do though