SG Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Classic

Purchased from: The Arts Music Center

These pickups, first and foremost, are loud. They scream, they sing, they wail. The neck pickup has a huge bottom end and a nice top end, kind of like a Stratocaster neck pickup on steroids. The bridge reminds me of an old school Gretsch, but more focused and biting. Since these are single coil pickups they make a lot of noise when distorted, but that's the price you pay.

Amazing, go out and find one.

It's a Gibson. Nuff said. I go onstage with this and know it will work for forever and a day.

This guitar came with a great set up, though I immediately swapped the strings (stock were .009-.042) for some heavier ones, I put on Ernie Ball strings, whatever the name is for .010-.052, has a nice slinky feel on the top and the bottom strings are good and tight for chord work. The pickups needed a bit of tweaking to get my prefered voice (neck pickup louder than the bridge), but it worked out nicely.

Limited re-release of this classic guitar for 2005 in Canada. Mahogany body, set-in mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, Tune-O-Matic and stop bar, and the best part of the whole thing, the sweet P-90's. I play blues, punk, rock, rockabilly, psychobilly and anything else I can lay my hands on and this guitar has yet to disapoint me. Metalheads might wanna look elsewhere, as the sharp, biting, midrange-heavy tone might not suit your ideal tone. Came with a gig bag, bought a hardshell case as well.