SG Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Classic

Purchased from: Musician's Freind

The P90 single coil pickups are meant to recreate the sound and look of the 60s. The P90s acomplished this job very well. While this guitar can't handle heavy gained settings, but it handles 60s rock very well. If you plan on playing music similar to that of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, (especially) The Who, and even some Hendrix, then this is without a doubt a guitar worth purchasing. Also, if you plan on using this guitar for any kind of blues, you will be making the right choice. The Gibson SG Classic handles blues extremly well. All in all, unless you play metal, this guitar is worth purchasing.

The Gibson SG Classic fits my genre very well (I play blues and 60s rock). The P90s are without a doubt my favorite feature. The heritage cherry finish is outstanding. If it were stolen or lost, I would be heart broken, this guitar is without a doubt one of the best I have ever played. Other than the poorly cut nut, I have not run into any problems. The only other con is the fact that it doesn't handle metal very well. Highly recommended instrument.

Other than the one problem I mentioned in the section above, this guitar has held up for me very well. I have gigged with it twice, and both times it managed to hold up very well the entire time. Gibson makes pure road instruments, and the SG Classic is a very good one. No backup needed.

The action seemed to be about what the average guitar would be set up as. The pickups were ajusted well at the factory, seeing that Gibson is a USA based company. The finish on my guitar is a very pretty heritage cherry, which is a pleasure to look at. The only problem I have ever run into with this guitar is the poorly cut nut, but I had that handled no problem thanks to the lifetime warrenty.

Made in 2003 in the USA, proving good quality. Features include 22 frets with Dot inlays, a mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, Tune-O-Matic bridge, a 3 way pickup selector, along with P90 pickups. I purchased this guitar from Musician's Freind, so it came with a deluxe gig bag. The gig bag is good, but I would perfer a hardshell case.