SG Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Classic

I play mainly Classic rock and Alternative. The sounds you can get from the pickups are very different. You can't get a single pickup to sound like humbuckers and vicer versa, but the P90's get close to both od these pickups, they're sort of the middle of these two if you know what I mean. I've only played this through my Boss studio as my Marshall is in the repairers at the moment, it's sounds great whatever sound you select on the Boss studio. Not noisy at all apart from a little crackle when changing the pickup slector switch.

This guitar is great for the style I play, you can really get that great Pete Townsend sound with this guitar, wouldn't recomend it if you want to get an Angus young tone though. I bought this guitar because I wanted to get something for everyday use and SEMI-retire my old SG, This guitar is definately as nice to play, the only difference I can notice is it feels newer. All in all and well built, good looking guitar, the binding on the neck is really set off by the ebony paint job, I would definatley buy another if it was stolen, after I got out of prison for murder that is.

This guitar will definately withstand gigging, I gigged with my '63 SG for years and this model is much stronger in the neck build. I would gig with this guitar without a back up, all the hardware and strap buttons are sturdy and well put together. The Nitro finish is excellent but unfortunately it shows every little finger print, I forgot what black guitars were like for that, looks good though.

As I said, I bought this as used, so It's probably had a set up or 2 since new. I's set up well, but not to my personal taste, but I haven't made any adjustments yet, so it's not bad enough for me to bother changing straight away. The build and finish on this guitar is top noch.

Just bought this 2005 model, although bought used, it's in immaculate condition. Mahogany body and Neck, Rosewood fret board with Dot inlays. Also you get 2 P90 pickups and a tune-o-matic bridge and button style tuning pegs which aren't the best looking but work really well. Unlike humbucker pickups I like the sound of the P90's on any setting you can choose, I don't usually like the sound of both pickups at once, but the P90's sound great in any position. The guitar is really well built and the quality of the binding around the neck is excellent. The one I bought was ebony and not the usual cherry ones, the finish is excellent and imaculate. Came with gig bag but I'll eventualy get a hard case for it.