SG Custom Showcase 1989 review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Custom Showcase 1989

Purchased from: Private Auction

I honestly love it, I play Ibanez, and ESP guitars so the SG's balanced low mids tone fits my taste very well, it has a very balanced sound no matter the position on the neck and which pu is selected. I play Alternative metal, post-grunge, Modern Rock and many contemporary styles like Jazz. I play it through a Randall RX120, a Marshall Valvestate, and a Carvin x100B and no matter what, it has a signature tone that only it can produce. Very rich, powerfull driven sound and I don't even play it with full volume, usually only 80% of the way up, that way it has a more passive pu sound instead of the generic active EMG's sound. Sometimes I add clean effects like delay and chorus but that isn't a very common thing. And when I do it sounds great ofc. No noise, great feedback when you want it very versatile and even handles my low tunings down to Bb with a little help from my chromatic tuner. Great ballsy overdriven tone, beautiful crisp chimey clean tone. Overdrives amps very well on clean. But sometimes I wish it didn't overdrive the amp so much because it gives it a kind of muddy sound when the tubes get really saturated.

Fits everything, but Gibson isn't necessarily my thing so it isn't a main instrument. I enjoy its tone, feel, action, everything, it was just a great overall guitar, the only flaws I can find is its amount of neck dive and since its second strap button is at the neck joint, the strap sits higher and you have to lower your strap BUT that is only something minor. I can't just find another so if I lost it or it was stolen I would try and find it because who would destroy this or cause detriment? Seriously. It matches my style and its great overall, I can't stress that enough.

Pffff what the hell is reliability and durability? It's a custom shop Gibson there's no reason for this section.

I can't say anything bad about this part. I'm just going to fill in with random stuff, great great great feel and action and if it wasn't, all I have to do is twist the bridge thing to get my perfect medium action. Neck feels smooth all the way up to the wings. And the finish looks spectacular, mainly in sunlight though, it just has this otherworldly Shine and glow to it.

The SG is a 1989 Custom Shop Showcase Edition with a cherry finish on the body and neck, ivory neck binding, all black hardware, ebony fretboard, Grover tuners, Tonepros locking bridge, 250k pots 2 volume 2 tone, 3 active EMG pickups(not sure of model), 3 way switch, mahogany 1 piece body and neck, set neck and with ivory block inlays. 22 frets wide-thin neck. Came with a free Gibson USA OHSC.

MrFlibble
    There's only 250 of those in the world, you got a helluva price on that. Bargain. The EMGs are all EMG 81s, by the way.
    Kog_Les_Paul
    Just me who thinks the picture doesn't seem to be doing it that much justice? I looked at the picture expecting chinese copy, not a Gibson Still, sounds pretty nice
    thetobarmethod
    yea this picture doesnt do it justice at all, it looks much much better in person, as does its les paul conterparts
    gkex
    I would love to have this. I would buy alnico II pro Slash passive humbuckers and replace the active EMGs. Also, I would get one of those pickguards from Warmoth that has the red layer which creates a cool border on the guard. Looks like an ebony fingerboard too. (small picture tho) Beautiful all around
    SG_Custom
    I still own my 1975 SG Custom with golg plated hardware (corrodes easily) and a Bigsby style whammy bar (one tone drop) and has Fretless Wonder neck w/ ebony fretboard. Very beautiful tone. I bought it as my "guitar for life".
    uncpaul
    I have this one and 2 other showcase Les Paul's from 88', this thing screams, But for over all Playing the Ruby Custom Showcase Edition is my Favorite Guitar.
    nullygrub
    I have the same guitar. It is a joy to play. I think I paid $1100 for mine.