SG Deluxe 2013 review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Deluxe 2013

Purchased from: Music Zoo

This guitar sings, screams, does everything! I have been playing for 44 years now and this is by far my favorite guitar. I would gig with this SG Deluxe anywhere. It fits all the styles I play. From rock, blues, indie, alternative, whatever. The magic is in the three '57s and "TogPot" feature which allows you to blend the center pickup with either the neck or bridge pickups offering multiple tone options. Along with the beautiful maple top for brightness this guitar has a wonderful rich/full blend of sound to it. I have plugged it into my Vox AC30, Blackstar HT5-R combo, and a EVH 5150 and she rips with all of them. You won't be disappointed.

Do your homework and hone your negotiating skills and you can get this guitar for a fair price. This guitar is the best SG I have ever played. TogPot blend switch is a great feature which opens all kinds of tone options. I love the neck, very fast and comfortable. The 24 frets doesn't hurt either. The whole guitar fits me like a glove. The finish will blow your mind. It is flat out a stunning guitar. Plays and sounds great. The only thing I would change, would be to inlay Mother of Pearl instead of acrylic. This is the only reason I'm giving this one a nine. Gibson SG Deluxe 2013 overview from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

This guitar is for sure stage worthy. Gibson has always been durable and reliable to me, so I don't think this guitar will be any different. Maybe I'm lucky or blessed, or put out the extra money for the quality I expect from Gibson. But they delivered the goods so I'm standing by them. The pictures on the Internet really does not reflect the beauty of this guitar. They are hard to find here at the stores in Vegas. I saw one at the CES show in Jan. Find one and you will see what I mean. Play it and use the "TogPot". I think you will enjoy it.

I'm telling you quality control at Gibson kept a good eye on this one. The finish is superb. It's like your looking into an Amazon jungle with the Limeburst, just beautiful with a subtle sparkle to the burst, back, and neck. Believe it or not there are no flaws to this guitar. The only thing I adjusted was the action. But everyone has to adjust the action to what there preference is anyway. Now you know this guitar has three pickups and a lot of you out there will say the middle pickup gets in the way of you picking attack. So keep this in mind. This guitar might not be the ideal guitar for everyone if this is a concern for you or if you don't like slim '60s necks. If you can find one go play with it. You will know.

My new 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe is a beautiful Lime Burst made in Nashville, TN. December of 2012. Stamped 2013. AA-grade figured maple top. Mahogany body and neck. The neck is a slim '60s profile with rosewood fretboard, split diamonds inlays on bound headstock and bound neck. 24 medium jumbo frets. This is a nice fast, comfortable neck boys and girls. Three '57 Classic humbuckers, 3-pickup selector switch with new "TogPot" center pickup blend control. Tune-o-matic bridge. Bigsby tailpiece, locking high ratio Grover tuners, chrome hardware, and Gibson USA hardshell Case.

blackstonekeys
    I have an SG classic with the same Bigsby tailpiece. It's a real bitch to replace the strings on that thing. Plus I can't even use the whammy bar without them going out of tune.
    aging_metal_god
    Rollers on your bridge will help the tuning problem...not sure if Gibson put them on this particular SG, but if not, it needs them! As for the string replacement thing, well, ummm...it is what it is. :-p
    dennis.daniels.
    My wife knew I wanted this guitar. For some reason she was looking at Zzounds online last night. She noticed this beautiful guitar and the finance deal they are offering. She said to me: Do you want to try to get it. Needless she didn't have to ask twice. I said YEAH!!! Well we bought it last night and the deal went through this morning. Right now I'm counting the seconds until it arrives. I'm praying it won't get damaged during delivery. There were 3 Lime Burst to choose from. I made my choice. I had my choice of serial numbers. And Each of these guitars weighted differently! I bought the one that I considered to be the most beautiful. It happened to be the one that weighed the most. Only by a couple of ounces. That leaves 2 Lime Burst and 1 blemished Faded Red, blemished meaning it was sold and returned and costs less. I've always wanted another SG Custom since I sold my 70,s Gibson SG Custom 3 pickups with the walnut finish. I traded it in on a 100 watt Marshall stack. I had more limitations with my budget in my younger days. The Marshall is gone to. But, I'm getting the Gibson SG back. YAY! Hallelujah!
    AuraFX
    Bigsby's stay a lot more stable if you put in a graphite nut and don't try dive-bombing with it. I've got 3 guitars with bigby's and once the nut was sorted out and I used it for gentle 'warbles' they're awesome. SG's are really stable anyway - ideal guitar for a Bigsby really.
    Aberinkulas
    Call me old school but, to me, that's pretty ugly. Then again I'm not much of a Gibson guy.. Well I like old les pauls customs and 335s
    Slayton101
    Just a note to the reviewer; I know it's a Gibson, so it's probably expensive, but a price paid for, or what I should expect to pay for the guitar. This really helps people like me who browse these reviews. It's just that cherry on top. Other than that, good review and I dig the middle pickup tonal variations built into it.
    hermonics
    I got mine on a special promotion. Wherever you decide to buy the guitar start at 15% off(They all gave me 15% off. Shoot for 18%-20% off. You will get a good deal, and they will still make their money.
    TheBigDirty716
    Nice review. I love SG's. Cool to see a variation with that Togpot. For those who don't have over 2G's to drop on an axe. I've played ones that cost half as much and been very happy with them. Check them all out
    Lazlo57
    Glad to see the sg line still rockin on, but bigsby trem really needs to be upgraded to be more stable. They go out of tune if you even look at it.
    jas1308
    Really beautiful looking guitar. Although, I'd be concerned with to much magnetic pull on strings. Me just being paranoid?