SG Goddess review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Goddess

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Suits my music style, sounds really meaty and fat. I run it through a Roland Cube 15 and it sounds amazing. Quite a good clean sound, on rhythm with no tone you get an absolute jazzy/blues tone. Hardly any buzz at all. Very good tonal range. Quite a thin sound however, if turned up loud.

Very good match for me, I've been playing for 4 years, and this is by far my best guitar. My gear includes: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ibanez SZ520, Fender 65 ri Mustang, Fender American Telecaster, Fender Mexican Strat Standard, Squier Affinity Strat, MD Bass 4, Yamaha FG245 Acoustic Guitar. By far the best. It actually came down to this or a Ri V. This felt more comfortable. Don't mind the "Goddess" it's not a womens guitar. It's an amazing guitar for anyone.

Lightweight makes it good for lives, however, like most SG's it is quite neck heavy. However, this takes a matter of hours to get used to. Solid hardware, I recommend strap locks due to the position of the strap buttons. Definitely reliable, good finish. Built like a tank, good solid construction.

Well set up, fine action. Pickups came bit high, but with a few screws it was fine. Well routed bridge and not any loose parts. Tight jack and no blemishes. The one thing that bothered me at first was the wraparound bridge, it seemed out of place, but then I realized that it made the guitar lighter and was more comfortable and reliable.

2008 USA Gibson SG Goddess in ice burst finish. Mahogany neck and body, very lightweight. Madagascan ebony fingerboard, pearloid trapezoid inlays. Thin '60s neck profile, GOTOH locking tuners. Chrome hardware, 1 volume 1 tone with a three way Switch. 490R and 490T alnico magnet humbuckers, 5:8 heel length, 3'4 scale length. Wraparound bridge (easy to use) Nitro finish. Came with Gibson warranty, Gibson hardcase, Levy's strap, truss rod adjuster. For a 1200 dollar guitar, atleast some polishing items could have been included.

TST2469
    I thik im in love! LoL tis a beautiful guitar right here! and i norally dislike the SG
    SyinX
    what's the difference between this and a Gibson Sg standard?
    metalmania616
    SyinX wrote: what's the difference between this and a Gibson Sg standard?
    This one has a thinner neck and only 1 tone and 1 volume control. This means it's lighter.
    RFL1701
    I bout my SG Goddess last year. I got it in the white "Ice Burst". Since I've had it I switched the pickups for a 57 Classic in the neck posistion and a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge. I'd put this guitar up against any Sg out there. She plays like a dream!
    Underjoggle
    I'm not crazy about the blue, but the purple and rose colors are priiiiitttyyyyy.
    BrandonBeaux
    No offense, but anyone who's test-driving a guitar that nice through a Roland Cube has some serious issues
    Hells.Mascot
    Hells.Mascot
    Hells.Mascot wrote: "Its a Gibson so it was assembled entirely in America." Trololol when will they learn
    Just because it's said to be 'assembled' here can mean 'oh yeah we set the neck.' I've only seen a few of their models (outside of the custom shop) that are manufactured 100% in the US.
    milwaukeerocker
    i'm sure this is a very nice guitar and all, and it seems like our reviewer has many very nice guitars, if only something better were used for amplification. It basically makes the review null and void since a small 15 watt cube is being used, it's like unfair to the guitar. Sell a couple of those other guitars and get a more serious amp if you're going to continue posting reviews.
    MrZEDO
    Balthazar101 wrote: If you have 2 gibsons and 3 fenders why do you use a roland cube 15X out of interest? I mean i have one myself but i only have a 225 hamer.....
    Playing guitar on a 225 pound hamer must be really difficult, I don't think I could even pick up a tool that heavy. Hehehe I agree with your comment. I was kinda thinkin' the same thing, though I was also thinking "what a dick. I've been playing for over five years and I couldn't come near affording all that stuff." [irritated face]
    metalmania616
    I've GOT ONE!!!! It plays really well, and has a great tone, you can almost get it to sound like a Spanish Guitar. But I would definately recommend it. (Only cost 729 as well!)
    MaggaraMarine
    I've been playing for 4 years. My gear includes: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ibanez SZ520, Fender 65 ri Mustang, Fender American Telecaster, Fender Mexican Strat Standard, Squier Affinity Strat, MD Bass 4, Yamaha FG245 Acoustic Guitar.
    Get The Fuck Out Of Here! You have six electric guitars (plus this SG), one bass and one acoustic and you have been playing for four years!?!? Why don't you buy a new amp instead of seven guitars and sell some of your guitars? I mean I've been playing for a bit over two years and I have two guitars (just bought my second (Charvel)) and I'm gonna stick with it for a long time. Next I'm going to buy an amp because I only have a Micro Cube. But it will take some time because I have not that much money. My gear costs about 1100 but your gear... It's over 5000. So about 1300 per year!
    timmy1
    hahaha i have a 1980 sg cherry red with bigsby... they dont make them anymore
    BlisteringDDj
    $1269.99 from Musicians Friend... Your on the internet, who needs to ask a question you can google at no time
    BlisteringDDj
    Correction: You're* I don't like SGs that much, but I loved the look and finish on this one. Would like to try it sometime. =)
    bokuho
    It's a shame they're no longer making these and most stores have sold out of their existing stock. Gorgeous guitars (especially the Sky and Violet bursts), play and sound beautiful, and the wraparound bridge is a great improvement both tonally and for sustain over the usual tune-o-matic/stopbar combo. Should've bought one when I had the chance... anyone who does get the chance to buy one, do so right away.
    MuSiCrAzY
    Very Nice Wish i could Afford One... Whats the Best Way to make money F-A-S-T ??? (kidding...:m
    Lily_lazer
    I recently got mine (about 2 months ago) I got it in the violet burst finish. It looks absolutely amazing in person! I've had a couple of problems with it though. For some odd reason when i play it when im sitting down the low E and D strings will be strummed and make some weird sort of octave sound, it's relaly odd. I think it may be the truss rod... Regardless, amazing guitar!
    metalmania616
    I tried one of these yesterday at my local music store and It was definately my favourite out of the ones I tried.
    Balthazar101
    hminh87
    Barkeeper
    hminh87 wrote: Man... I like this color alots. "The SG Goddess is the perfect guitar for a guitar god in training." This made me laugh for a whole day ;D
    or as if the normal SG isn't rock and roll
    mister bass guy
    wasco100 wrote: my dad has a robot guitar like that,its frikin sweet!!!!
    this is...not a robot guitar
    NorfIrIon
    mister bass guy wrote: wasco100 wrote: my dad has a robot guitar like that,its frikin sweet!!!!this is...not a robot guitar
    Key Word: LIKE
    metaldud536
    So its a begginers guitar at around 1000$ and the reviewer is running its through a cube 15x?
    TechnicolorType
    rofl all those guitars and yet your amp is a 15 watt cube? You can't really judge a guitar on an amp like that.. a big portion of the tone is from the amp.
    schecter_r0cker
    if I was a chick id love it but Im a dude, that and Im just not really I Gibson fan, they make a great guitar, can't deny that, but there just not my thing.
    bokuho
    ikarian-pride wrote: i thought Gibson discontinued the SG Goddess
    They have. Annoyingly, it seems it's only been since they were discontinued that people have started taking thems eriously and liking them (some of the comments on this page aside...). So now, there are far fewer available to buy, and far more demand for them too. It's almost imposisble to get a brand new one in a finish you want at a reasonable price anymore; some place are charging literally twice the price they used to be for the popular finishes like the blue Sky Burst. It would be in Gibson's best interest to bring these SG Goddesses back, but the LP Goddess failed in sales and Gibson seem reluctant to ever bring back a 'failed' guitar, even though this SG version has done well.