SG Menace review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Menace

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I play hard rock and metal, and it rocks totally on stage! It's the best guitar I've ever had, I use it on my Marshall MG30DFX and my Line 6 Spider II 212, its clean sound is actually pretty clean even thoug it could kill a man with a little distortion, it can play screaming tones and all the way down to deep growling sound, its really the perfect guitar for me.

I play metal and hard rock, and this battleaxe is the angel of metal, it rules. I've been playing for 1 year, and I have a Behringer Strat copy, a no name acoustic, but I've playd a lot of other guitars, I'm sorry I didn't ask them how they make such beautyful guitars at Gibson, I would go on a manhunt to get it if someone took it away from me. I really love the tribal body routings and the brass knuckle inlay, I can't come in thought of something I hate about it. I've been looking at the SG godess and the Menace is just so much more heavy, it would be nice if it came with a case but hey! You won't get everything huh?

I've already used it live, and I had no problems with it, the hardware seems pretty strong, so, I dont think it will break, the strap buttons are really solid, no problems here, so I would take it to a gig without a backup guitarthe finish is going to last, I won't wear it of.

It was already in tune the day it arrived at my doorstep, and the action is just perfect the pickups where a little to low in the front but nothing serious, it doesn't have any flaws at all.

I don't know what year it was made, but my guess would be 2002 because Gibson publicited this model in 2002, it is made in the US. It goes with a 22 fret neck, it has got golden jumbofret inlays, the fret board is out of ebony, and it has a golden brass knuckle in 5th fret, its a solid top guitar and both body and neck are made from mahogany. I would say that the guitar is flat black, and of course its a SG. It goes with golden hardware, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and active electronics, 2 tone controls, 2 volume controls and a 3-way switch. It's a H/H setup, with a 490R Smoky Coils w/brass stud at the neck and 498T Smoky Coils w/brass stud as the bridge pickup, and oh yes, the tuning pegs are Grover's.

SR8806
    Hey Sturc congradulations you've just found out that fact that not every one is a professional review writer. Would you like a prize? You know you can be critical without being mean. Also why go out of your way to be so negative? Oh ya and his grammar isn't as bad as some people who review things on here.
    HLrocker
    t3hrav3n wrote: synyster.punk wrote: what are you some kind of metal head? ooh i can scream and play drop D. playing heavy metal doesnt make you a GOOD guitarist. grow up dude. don't you realize that the massive "stereotype" of punk (i put that in quotes because it's really not a stereotype) is that all the songs are played in drop d? stop flaming, stop trolling.
    Hey, basicly all I play and listen to is punk, and i cant think of a single punk song in drop d, its basicly all in standard tuneing.
    HammettHead
    Sturc wrote: K, first of all, for Features, Action,Fit and Finish, and Reliability and Durability you say nothing bad about the guitar at all and just give it your high praises, and yet in each category you don't give a reason for giving it a 9 or a 10, as far as your comments go in each category everything about the guitar is a 10. And work on your f*ucking grammer.
    Dude your an a55hole...
    mjj4
    1. "grammer"... it's grammar, like some other guy said. 2. Since when was "K" a word?? isn't it meant to be ok? 3. its not F*ucking... its Fucking. 4. Your a complete knob ache and you should leave this kid alone... (even though hes older than me lol). 5. I think your a bit jealous because you don't have one. yeh nice review... glad you like the guitar =D
    will-loves-zep
    why shouldnt people listen to what they want? just cos u like stuff it doesnt mean others have to
    Kirdy
    Hey wat curency was the price? And could you have gotten it for cheaper? oh yeh does it come with those dots so u know where roughly the fretts are? thanks man!
    freakonaleash92
    what the ****.....you stupid shit...i wont even go on about your ****in stereotypes you little dickhole I Hope you ****ing die
    Gamble0693
    dude who gives a flying **** about his review. the whole point here is that he obviously liked the guitar
    girlmetal
    I also have just wasted 6 minutes of my life not to mention the charges using the internet abroad! But LMAO! in fact everyone in the business centre wants to know what im laughing at! I think this will be my next guitar, ordering one on monday will be kicking ass on tues! So expect my review soon (but only if you all promise to be nice!!)
    Shinozoku
    Lol! Sturc got pwned... My band's singer is saving up for this guitar (as he is also a guitarist, and a damn good drummer for somebody who's never had lessons). I look forward to playing it myself
    HLrocker
    Kurai-sama
    "Someone call the grammer police!" Haha. The SG Menace looks sexy, though I prefer a normal scheme of inlays...and I'm poor, too. XD
    Isaac98
    what are you some kind of metal head? ooh i can scream and play drop D. playing heavy metal doesnt make you a GOOD guitarist. I disagree, I have the SG Menace, but not only playing it in drop D makes me hardcore. But also Drop c and Standard tuning. One note of concern tho: I've gone through about 7 High E-strings in a week; they keep breaking at the tuning knob [whatever that thinger may be called] is anyone else had this prob .... or is it just me.
    Isaac98
    the top line in the one above is this... sorry
    jackasspiper
    HLrocker wrote: I found this review pretty helpfull, now i just have to find a review for a les paul menace, i cant decide which to get.
    its all preference for the shape and feel of the guitar dude, les pauls are generally heavy bodied and have a heavier action and sg's are a little more evenly balanced between the neck and body, with a lighter action. im pretty sure im right about that, i have an sg menace and it is pretty sick. and my brother has an les paul custom. i would imagine the LP menace would sound similar to the sg, maybe a little deeper. hope that helps.
    adelaidepunk
    wat up bitches. played a menace at the music shop, and thought it was a piece of shit, action was high(real high) may be a setup issue but hey ended up gettin a sg gt, now that is a sickass axe
    sebj93
    Hey,just bought my second guitar ever (the sg menace) on ebay 500 with case. Enjoyed reading all your helpfull reviews and hope it turns out to be a 10/10 otherwise i will kill myself.
    paul.a.hanson
    IwillROCK4ever wrote: p.s. I am sorry for : IwillROCK4ever : Well,FIRST OF ALL, it is Gibson LP menace not SG... played it in the local guitar store.. sounds pretty nice...
    Sorry bud, they made a Menace in both models, I have one of each.(although the my LP is very heavily modded)
    mr_j_o
    i just wasted about 6 minutes of my life reading and LMAO at every comment posted in this review. SGs are great guitar just not my up of tea I like either my guitar to be massive (to use as a club) like LPs or pointy (to impale) like my RR. None the less i've played a menace and its a very decent sounding guitar you get a lot of bang for your buck1
    EtriX
    I've had this guitar for a few months now, it's a 2007 make, I really like this guitar. I play alot of diffrent kinds of music and it is really quite versitile, sure it's meant to be a hard rock/heavy metal guitar, and in that purpose it can't really compete with ESP or Ibanez, but as a rock/blues guitar it works great, the dark tone and nice sound makes it great for nice clean and low distorted songs, I have only played it through a Laney Hardcore 65W and that doesn't really make it justice, but I think that it's a really good buy, it's quite cheap for being a Gibson and it still got the Gibson quality, I still prefer a Gibson Les Paul or SG Standard but that is due to a diffrent tone that I prefer, But this is a really good guitar
    babybeastie
    I owned one and it fell off my guitar hanger 2 months ago. To my surprise, there were only tiny dents on it. My gawd, this thing is build like a rock! As for the sound, i'll have to agree with EtriX cuz, them Smokey Coils are not the best sounding on metal. Also find that the heavier neck is quite a nuisance (am not too sure if the Epiphone SG Prophecy has the same problem. Do let me know, am thinkin of gettin it), cuz my right hand is always pressing against the guitar to balance it while performing. Anyways, it's a good guitar overall.
    IsaacMcLeod
    If Ya Get This, cheak your estring tuner... mine came real sharp, and broke the string. ...
    TiptonPhantom
    So would you prefer the SG Menace. Tony Iommi G-400, or SG Prophecy? I Have a menace, and an Iommi, and it's a hard choice, but i think the iommi is a better fit for metal (Judas Priest, Black Sabbath etc.)
    roundwoundsound
    dude,your a whiney bitch.shut up.
    oggiedoggy
    About the whole metal music being played in drop D that's not really that accurate... more of a drop C or lower (whatever it is these days). Punk is definitely a lot of drop D.
    Big Bear200
    wow this guitar is just awsome i bought this from a friend for only 500$$ and its still like new its hella good to play headbangin music
    IwillROCK4ever
    IwillROCK4ever wrote: I tried Gibson LP menace,sounds nice.. I would like to taste this one as well
    uvq
    You need to work on your grammer too. You can't start a sentence with 'and'.
    american-psycho
    WHAT A FARKING MOODY OLD MAN
    valdemar 17
    hvad s min danske ven, godt skrevet. love sgs, have a modle from 72 myself and it kicks ass.
    mr. blobby
    sturc ur an asswipe, i h8 people who just post comments about how shit the review was, i thought it was alright. i hope some chav beats u up. dikwad.
    Sturc
    rollingstones
    i love gibson sgs wether its a menace or a angus young remake they are definetly the best type of guitar around today. rock on guys \m/(..)\m/
    Dudage
    [quote=Sturc]K, first of all, for Features, Action,Fit and Finish, and Reliability and Durability you say nothing bad about the guitar at all and just give it your high praises, and yet in each category you don't give a reason for giving it a 9 or a 10, as far as your comments go in each category everything about the guitar is a 10. And work on your f*ucking grammer.[/quote] Thank you for saying what needed to be said. I wish more people around here listened to that comment.
    H-P-D
    to sturc aka d1ckhead... i'm the one who wrote this review... oh yeah, if you had something wich is just perfect, could you then say bad stuff about it? no! unless your a pessimistic jerk! hey? sounds like you, im sorry i cant do perfect grammar as a 15 year old boy from denmark... see you in h3ll dude
    deadnihils
    synyster.punk
    No Seatbelt
    deadnihils wrote: Besides Sturc, on top of being an anal crybaby, you spelled grammar wrong. Smart-guy.
    Anal crybaby?! Whoa. That's intense.
    SL!!!
    hahaha. man, you guys are like one big family. that's cute. i found none of this review helpful. if i was gonna purchase this, i'd probably just go down to the local music store and ask to play an sg or one similar to it if they didn't have this exact model. but i'm more of a fan of les pauls and telecasters, so i guess really a guitar review isn't exactly necessary.
    rich420
    Sturc Wrote: And work on your f*ucking grammer.
    This coming from the guy who writes 63 words in one sentence.
    H-P-D
    oh, auranos: as you say, it kinda is my guitar honeymoon, i will post a new review later... thanks for the backup, and adwises guys..