SG Menace Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Gibson: SG Menace
For the heaviest headbangers. All the blistering power of the Menace series with a pure metal SG body design.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 6,794
reviews (3) pictures (1) 62 comments vote for this gear:
SG Menace Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I don't know what year it was made, but my guess would be 2002 because Gibson publicited this model in 2002, it is made in the US. It goes with a 22 fret neck, it has got golden jumbofret inlays, the fret board is out of ebony, and it has a golden brass knuckle in 5th fret, its a solid top guitar and both body and neck are made from mahogany. I would say that the guitar is flat black, and of course its a SG. It goes with golden hardware, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and active electronics, 2 tone controls, 2 volume controls and a 3-way switch. It's a H/H setup, with a 490R Smoky Coils w/brass stud at the neck and 498T Smoky Coils w/brass stud as the bridge pickup, and oh yes, the tuning pegs are Grover's. // 8

Sound: I play hard rock and metal, and it rocks totally on stage! It's the best guitar I've ever had, I use it on my Marshall MG30DFX and my Line 6 Spider II 212, its clean sound is actually pretty clean even thoug it could kill a man with a little distortion, it can play screaming tones and all the way down to deep growling sound, its really the perfect guitar for me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was already in tune the day it arrived at my doorstep, and the action is just perfect the pickups where a little to low in the front but nothing serious, it doesn't have any flaws at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've already used it live, and I had no problems with it, the hardware seems pretty strong, so, I dont think it will break, the strap buttons are really solid, no problems here, so I would take it to a gig without a backup guitarthe finish is going to last, I won't wear it of. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and this battleaxe is the angel of metal, it rules. I've been playing for 1 year, and I have a Behringer Strat copy, a no name acoustic, but I've playd a lot of other guitars, I'm sorry I didn't ask them how they make such beautyful guitars at Gibson, I would go on a manhunt to get it if someone took it away from me. I really love the tribal body routings and the brass knuckle inlay, I can't come in thought of something I hate about it. I've been looking at the SG godess and the Menace is just so much more heavy, it would be nice if it came with a case but hey! You won't get everything huh? // 10

SG Menace Reviewed by: Gibson122, on november 09, 2012

Features: Nice Thin Neck great speed and playability. Neck has bronze frets and a brass knuckle inlay. Black Hardware and black Pick guard. Brass output Jack, and the pickup switch is brass with a black cap. Came with a black Gibson Hardshell Case. Non-locking tuners(the guitar never goes out of tune).Special Gibson symbol on the head of the guitar. // 10

Sound: I Play mostly AC/DC and man can this thing ROCK! Great Pickups that sound HOT! Nice Full Sound. I play through a Peavey valveking 100 watt tube amp and this guitar Makes me feel just like Angus.I'm sure that you can play any type of music on this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Took it home and the action was perfect, nice height and zero fret buzz. Very comfortable to play. Nice Matte Black Finish. There wasnt any flaws and i wouldn't change anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for two years and the matte finish has worn to almost a gloss where my arm rubs but other that that it has a very tough finish. I would easily take this as my only guitar to a gig. I think that this guitar could withstand anything that you could possibly put it through. // 9

Overall Impression: I Have been Playing For About 3 years now, and i'm sure that i will never regret buying this guitar while i could(Limited Edition).I love everything about this guitar and i wouldn't change a thing.If your interested in buying a Gibson SG Menace they are very hard to come by, but i have seen them pop up on eBay and other sites.I Highly Recommend this guitar to any type of guitar player. // 10

SG Menace Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1000

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: Read the former review for the features in-depth... 490/498 humbuckers, all mahog body with a rosewood fretboard. Light. Gold/black chrome hardware. Faded trans-black. The 498 can take some getting used to as it is Hot! // 10

Sound: I play an SG Standard, Raw Power and Menace. The Menace is my fave for anything from clean tones-guitar and Vox only, for blues rock metal too... This IS the most versatile SG I have played, and only play SGs. The bridge bucker is a screamer, the fret bucker is warm, but much ballsier than your 57s. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit, finiosh and action are perfect. I took a long time choosing the right axes. The grains through the finish are perfect, unplugged it sounds like an Acoustic guitar, the action is f'n fast-i don't shred but I'm sure those guys would have no problems. This guitar is solid and perfect. I am interested to see how close the Goth series and the Voodoo is to the Menace, and hope Gibson contiues these ltd SG Specials. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only reason why I have one of my other Sgs for back up is purely for the variations in tunings... The reliability of thi sbeast is no question-it has proved it WILL get the job done-alone! // 10

Overall Impression: I play 60s-70s acid rock, grunge rock, some industrial. I would not purchase it again, I would hunt the SOB down, beat him with the guitar, and take it home and jam because its that meaty! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special 8.5 Electric Guitars 01/08/2016