SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Fromager Music

I play mostly rock, some metal, and this guitar is perfect for it. I don't have a very good amp but this guitar still sounds amazing. It sounds great with lots of distortion and pretty good clean too. The lead setting on the three way Switch is great for soloing and the rhythm setting is great for backup.

This guitar is perfect for rock. I got it for a great price and even though I've only been playing a year I hope I will get better so I can play the SG Special like it deserves to be played. This was the best looking guitar I saw in the whole store when I bought it. It looks amazing, plays amazing, and sounds amazing!

I don't play any concerts, but I'm pretty sure I could with this guitar. It's solid all aroud. Sometimes the strap falls off but that's probably the strap not the guitar. I wouldn't use a backup with this guitar, mostly because it wouldn't sound half as good! The finish hasn't worn off at all, but I haven't had the guitar very long.

I bought this guitar at a scratch and dent sale, so the only thing wrong with it is a tiny little scratch you can barely see. Other than that, everything fits perfectly. The double cutaway is awesome for reaching high frets. The paint finish looks awesome and everything is sturdy.

The Gibson SG Special: - Made in: Nashville, TN - Body: mahogany - Neck: mahogany, rounded, neck joint at 19th fret - Fingerboard: 22 frets, no inlays (on mine anyways) - Color: platinum (super cool looking) - Finish: brushed chrome - Tailpiece: stopbar - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic - Pickups: 2 Alnico magnet humbuckers - Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone and 3 way Switch (lead, rhythm or normal).

|\puto_rodas/|
    Jackson guitars suck ass? U suck ass... .|.
    dookie_dude_
    earl_j13 wrote: hey people! this is the guitar ray toro from my chemical romances uses!!
    sweat
    earl_j13
    hey people! this is the guitar ray toro from my chemical romances uses!!
    Disturbed42
    B-Cup666 wrote: yeah, u guys need a real guitar, like a an rr1 jackson
    Jackson guitars suck ass
    MANTAJAZZ
    q1w2e4r4
    Why Daron Malakian ever switched from Ibanez Icemen to SGs, I'll never know.
    S0ulja23
    That makes me wanna throw mine away....Nah I love this thing
    SeanX3187
    TomCannon wrote: I saw a video of a band playing and one of the members had a special (it had moon inlays and no crest) but has the pickups from the standard.
    yeah that's a cool looking guitar. but i think the standard pickups were added post purchase. i think all specials come with the same pickups stock.
    emo-rock-13
    it is frank tht sometimes uses a sg but it is a standerd ya know the one tht costs way more
    emo-rock-13
    Frank sometimes uses a sg but it a standerd
    sgplayer4life
    this guitar is the most reliable guitar ever! the suond and the fact its a gibson is great.
    samswallow
    Strongbow wrote: Im looking into buying this guitar, or a fender strat or a prs, any opinions? Thanks for the reviews they helped alot!
    prs anyday even the 500 ones are better than the sg. especially for hard rock/ metal but it does everything
    Slap-happy
    Does anyone have details or information on the limited edition Swamp Ash SG Special that came out a few years ago? Has a mahogany neck... I bought one last year - great guitar, brighter tome than a standard/mahogany bodied SG and is lighter, too. A bit of tweaking with the amp and the tome/volume pots will get you pretty much any sound you need out of it. I play pretty varied stuff (blues, rock, metal, funk, industrial, metal) and it's my main instrument for all of those.
    Slap-happy
    That should clearly read "tone" instead of "tome" - I'm not referring to books...
    SuperShane
    Is it possible to get a good G n R tone from this guitar? I love the lp tone but prefure the body and price of the SG.
    LeoKisomma
    Yeah, I think that you should be able to get a good GnR tone from it, it certainly has that kind of punch. Just remember that with it being an SG, it will have a really good mid-range, but will be slightly darker than a Gibson Les Paul or a Flying V.
    TomCannon
    LeoKisomma
    grungelive72
    My only complaint is that the neck is grossly big. I could be talking about the worn version though. I'm not 100% sure.
    munkyRobb
    MANTAJAZZ : Josh Shiells wrote: Why Daron Malakian ever switched from Ibanez Icemen to SGs, I'll never know. becouse an gibson or epiphone is an instrument and most of ibanez guitars are toys
    clearly you have never played an iceman
    Slaytan666
    MANTAJAZZ wrote: Josh Shiells wrote: Why Daron Malakian ever switched from Ibanez Icemen to SGs, I'll never know. becouse an gibson or epiphone is an instrument and most of ibanez guitars are toys
    It must be hard to type with your head so far up your ass.
    MaggaraMarine
    Most_Triumphant
    LeoKisomma wrote: To the guy in the reviews who said that it will withstand live playing: you're right. I've played live gigs with my Gibson SG Special and it's not let me down yet. The thing I love about it is how you can compare it to other guitars and it comes out on top. It's lighter and easier to play than a les paul(to me) while sounding somehow darker and still with a thick tone. It's got much better sound quality than a fender/squier stratocaster particularly as they tend to sound quite tinny. This guitar was called the SG simply because it's a 'solid guitar', it means solid body. It was essentially one of the world's first heavy metal guitars, so while it is definitely capable of so much more than that, other metal-style guitars have this to beat first in my opinion.
    it first was given to Les Paul who complained of the Les Paul models. That was before Metal was even invented.
    RHCPROCK!
    this guitar sounds lyk it kicks arse, i rllllly want it now (im looking for a new guitar btw lol)
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: YYZX wrote: dude, should i get one und change teh p-ups or just leave it standard? If you like the guitar's sound why would you change the pickups. And if you don't, then you could change them. Why are you asking us?
    And IMO this guitar could do something with a pickup change.
    Jimmyboba
    Such a nice guitar, moderatly cheap, feels good in the hand and has a beautiful neck. Wish i owned one. :/.
    prophetsfan
    1. to comment number one - i thought Ray used a les paul? 2. am i the only person who doesnt like gibsons? all the ones i've played have horrable necks on them, really rough and the fretwires stick out. I have a Vintage SG copy that i got for 70 ($150?), and its better than a 600 ($1200?) original SG i tried.
    mcrasher
    This is absolutely the best guitar I've ever owned I've had it for some time now and not a scratch, absolutely no problems, great, great, great, great sound you can pretty much get any sound you'd like on this and it would sound better and more like you'd want it to on any other guitar, this one leaves you saying " I am so happy that I bought this". I totally recomend it.
    Punk_prince360
    i want this guitar!!! every since i saw it, but i havnt heard it in action tho, Gibsons are hard to find here in the philippines, well, at least were i live.
    alabamajustin
    ill tell u wat i have an sg and the funny thing is .....igot it for free so when i opend the case i really didnt know what i had i thought it was like somthing from walmart so i just threw it away.....naaaaa! i kept it and im learning alot of ac/dc songs
    S0ulja23
    Oh and to the review posted today (July 12 2006), I think that you were talking about an EPIPHONE Sg Special, which is completely different
    Rockwillnevrdie
    the rr1 jackson is a very poor guitar...i dissaprove with the declaration that Mr.B-cup made. Gibson/Epiphone make the best guitars
    nathanashbyuk
    I Cant wait to ge tmy sg special now i planning to get one end of the year form my loacal guitar shop CODA. according to the website it cost 750 odd is that a gd price for it??
    Strongbow
    Wakisazhi
    Depends on the PRS model, so for now I'd say the SG Special is the way to go. Anyways I have a quick question, I recently just got a used SG Special but I've noticed that the tuning keys aren't green key but are grover kidney instead, I've noticed in the pictures of the current models they are green key. So my question is: Would that mean my model is an older model and if so what models featured Grovers, or would this mean the previous owner decided to change them. It doesn't bother me the slightest but I was curious if this meant I had an older model, either way it's quite an awesome beast even when played through a crappy amp.
    That Wog
    Hey, i read somewhere Les Paul once said the horns on the SG posed a serious threat of wrist injury! Hehe! Awesome guitar! But I'm a little broke at the moment...
    MANTAJAZZ
    |\puto_rodas/| wrote: Disturbed42 wrote: B-Cup666 wrote: yeah, u guys need a real guitar, like a an rr1 jackson Jackson guitars suck ass Jackson guitars suck ass? U suck ass... .|.
    no jackson guitars suck ass even cock hihi
    Pabli7o
    Please somebody tell them whats the difference with Special Faded?
    swek
    I envy you guys that live in the US... in norway they cost appr. 1550$. I have been looking everywhere for a reasonable price
    Oblivion_Rps
    what exactly is the difference between this and the faded? is it just the colour? and also... does the price vary between them?