SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

I play a variety of styles like metal, punk, hard rock, classic rock, and blues, but this guitar fits everything perfectly. I bought it because it has a rich sound and is very versatile. SGs seem to be most commonly associated with heavy metal music, but they create clean and bluesy sounds just as well.

I play this through a Line 6 Spider II combo and it sounds excellent. I compared this to an Epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Strat and this is so much more versatile. One of my favorite things about it is it is very light and thin making it very comfortable to play. For its price range, this is one of the best guitars you can buy.

I would definitely play live with this without worrying about it. The finish is gorgeous except it shows up dirt and dust easily, but regular polishing or wiping with a soft cloth takes care of that. This guitar is very dependable and solidly made, and if it isn't, there's always Gibson's warranty.

I was overall impressed with the way this was set up. The metal hardware all came in good condition, the Gibson factory strings are smooth and easy to play, and everything is set for you to plug it into your amp and go. The pickup selector makes an almost constant humming noise, which varies when I plug it into different amps and change the effects settings. Besides that, I haven't found much to complain about.