SG Special review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 2.8 Junky
Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Raytown Studios

I mostly play hard rock/metal and this guitar can nail the "grunge" sound I look for. I am using a Marshall Half Mode MF450 stack with a Boss GT-8 effect board. It's not very noisy and it only has 2 different sound without effects. I also don't like how the bridge is so far up the body so it's more difficult to palm mute.

I play hard rock/metal. This guitar has the right sound to match what I need, just it lacks the palm muting ability. I have been playing for 5 years now. I have a custom-made Carvin DC135 and a '70s style Fender Strat. I bought this Gibson because I've seen many other guitarists with an SG and I wanted to see what the buzz was about. Now I know that there is no buzz for me. My favorite thing about this guitar is the body style. I hate the bridge being so far up the body because it makes it hard to palm mute. I wished I would've asked to try the guitar out for 7 and a half months to see if it would last. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would definetly not buy another one like it. Ever.

The hardware in this guitar doesn't seem like it would last very long because it's already starting to crap out and I've only had it for 7 and a half months. I definetly would not use this guitar on a gig without a backup. The strap's hold fine but the finish is wearing off where I strum my picks. I guess that's probably normal but my other guitars have lasted much longer than this one.

The guitar was set-up fine. The neck is a little warped though. The pickups are fine but I put my own Seymore Duncan Dimebag Darrell humbuckers (SH13) in it to make it sound heavier. The pickup selector is also "staticky" when you Switch picups.