SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Sound, well I had one concern, which I will point out; I was worried that it couldn't cope with heavier things due to the two open pickups, that was very foolish. It easily goes from things like Maiden to things as light and open as The Who. It really is a fantastic sounding guitar. Turn down the mids and you've got some heavy shit, turn up the mids and treb and put the bass half way and theres a perfect blues rock/ AC/DC sound. It can cope with anything.

Well, I play mainly AC/DC type material, well, generally classic rock, and there is not a thing it can't handle, I think the open 'buckers allow it to do more than the closed ones of the Standard, having the option for lighter things. Also, Maiden, Ozzy, stuff liek that, and it sounds awesome. If it were stolen I'd get another, and it really is perfect for the price. Overall an amazing guitar.

I haven't tested live playing yet, but from what I have seen it should well be perfect. The strap buttons are solid, but I use the little plactic Straplocks just to be on the safe side. The finish is lovley and thick, yet really masterfully done, its a gorgeous colour the wine red. The hardware is good, no flaws, but I would still take my crappy guitar, again, just to be safe. Although it is light, it is a very well built guitar, and will easily last years and years to come.

I was worried that it would be a "top heavy" SG as many nowadays are, but no, its perfectly balanced. The action was perfect, no buzz at all which is odd being as low as it is. The finish is beautiful, much nicer in my opinion to the Standrad's Cherry red- its flawless. Another thing people seem to complai nabout is the tuner's, but mine are perfect, sturdy as you'd want, and I really like the look of them too. Very nice job, a high quality guitar.

Well, don't know when it was made, but its an american made guitar. 22 Rosewood frets on a mahogany neck, with medium frets. The neck is a lil wider than I thought it would be, but strangely I can play easier and faster on it. It's a very comfortable guitar, and extremely light, so perfect for a guitarest who likes to move around alot. I won't go into what it says to mention, because that has already been said alot, but nobody has mentioned something I was quite startled by. Being a cheaper model, it comes in a gig bag, and the gig bag is very fine quality. I have a 30 one that doesn't compare to thism, it's lined with fur too!