SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Local Music Store

This guitar sounds good. But, with a little tweaking done to it, it will sound great. I have put a '57 Classic in the neck and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. But, the stock pickups were still ok. They were a little muddy in the lower register, but OK. I play Rock'N'Roll, Hard Rock, and Blues and this guitar fits all of those styles (especially the Blues). I play it through a Line 6 Spider II 212 with a Dunlop Crybaby and sometimes a Boss BD-2 and it sounds nice.

Overall, this guitar is a great buy. It is cheaper than almost any other Gibson guitar. With a little tweaking and pickup replacement, you could have a $1500 guitar for $900-$1000. If this guitar were ever stolen, I would take my old, crappy Epiphone acoustic and smash the dumbass Who stole it over the head. Then, I would take my guitar back and his wallet and buy a new Acoustic guitar.

I have played a contest and a couple of private gigs and this has held up extremely well. I would never use any guitar without a backup, but this guitar is extremely well built, so I can rely on it more than most other guitars.

I bought mine used, so I am not sure how it was setup out of the factory. It has many knicks in it (I am going to hunt down and hurt whoever owned this guitar before me because they don't know how to take care of it).

I bought this guitar in a local music store of mine. I had played on Fenders, Epiphones, and PRS's, but this guitar blew them out of the water. Before I knew it, it was in my car. This guitar has 22 frets on a Rosewood Neck. It came with Gibson 490 pickups in both the bridge and neck positions. This guitar is fairly standard compared to the rest of the Gibson SG's.