SG Special review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Gibson: SG Special

This guitar fits my music style because of the sound. The tone can vary from a full warm bass sound to a bright treble sound thats good for soloing, but not overly tinny sounding. I use a 15watt Crate amp that I bought seperate along with a DigiTech RP80 which can make it scream, or sound even more rich. The pickups are rather sensitive if I have it on certain settings, and I never need to turn the volume up over 5. Acoustic settings never sound good.

The style of music I used to play used mainly chords and they were a breeze on the lower and middle frets for barring, but now that I'm getting more advanced, I like to solo, but the action is too high. If it were stolen I would buy something much better than this. I don't really love anything about it. I wish that there were 2 seperate volume and tone knobs for both pickups.

This guitar would stand live playing, but I would use it more as a backup. The strap buttons haven't come loose, but they don't hold straps very well, so I would buy locking strap buttons. The finish on the body hasn't rubbed off and seems like it will last for a lot longer time. The finish on the fretboard is starting to weather, but it looks even better because it's showing the natural wood underneath; however, for the first year my fingers were black after playing.

When I first got the guitar I needed to adjust a few things to my personal preferences, but everything came intact. The bridge needed to be lowered which was a breeze thanks to the Tune-O-Matic bridge. Nothing was loose, but one day my guitar stopped playing through the amp because a wire inside came loose, but I sottered it back into place, and it's held ever since. Also, the tuning pegs are coming loose and not holding their tune. The action is perfect down on he lower frets, but as you go higher the action gets a little high, which is ok for whe I begun, but now starting to solo in higher places isn't that easy. The action can't be adjusted enough to where it's low on the higher frets because it starts to buzz on lower frets even with a thinner gauge string. While sliding my hand up and down the fretboard, I don't feel the frets scraping my hand like most other guitars that are cheaper like this.

I bought my SG Special in a package deal which included a gig bag, a tuner, a cheap cable, a few medium picks, and a 10watt amp. It has 22 frets which is nice for when I begun playing, but as I progressed I needed more frets than that. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge which you can use to lower the action which needs to be done. It has the classic dual-cutaway SG shape which I love. The tuners that it comes with are starting to not hold their tune and need to be replaced. It comes with dual humbuckers. You'll never get confused on which knob is for tone or volume because it has the words inscribed on the knobs.