SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Charles Music Store

I play mainly blues/rock type of stuff and the alnico pickups were just great for that. The treble pickup is a bit too twangy when played without and distortion though, so I mainly use the neck pickup. I am currently running it through a Line 6 PODXT and a Vox V847 wah, and this guitar sounds great through all of the presets. It's quite versatile and it can go from playing blues to hi-gain metal. Other than that treble pickup being to twangy, this guitar is great!

Overall, this guitar is great for the price. I've found that it suits the blues perfectly although I might swap the pickups with '57 Classics for more versatility and better tone. If this thing were ever stolen or lost, I'd probably assasinate whoever stole it, as this guitar means a lot to me (this is my first high quality guitar). I love the wine red finish, it makes it seem so elegant, and the dual cutaway horns gives great upper fret access. I also love how light it is compared to other Gibsons. Compared to other guitars in this price range, this is great.

I've used this guitar in about 3 gigs already (my only gigs) without a back up and there were absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. The hardware seems like it'll last a decent amount of time, and the strap buttons are ok. I've never had it fall of its strap during a gig, although it did fall once while I was playing at home. I recommend installing strap locks.

Since I got this used, the action was a bit too low when I got it. Thanks to the Tune-O-Matic bridge though, that problem was easily fixed. Also I noticed that its a bit noisy when switching pickups, and the fingerboard is a bit coarse (just a little bit) but other than that, it's great.

Alright, so this is an american made 2004 SG Special (Wine Red). It has 22 frets, pearl dot inlays, a rosewood fingerboard and a 24 3/4" scale. The double cutaway gives great upper fret access. It's equipped with 2 alnico humbucking pickups (490r/490t). The local music store where I got it from came with a case, which is great for protecting this instrument.