SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

These pickups are good, but I am thinking about putting some '85s in. I play it out of a tiny little Ibanez practice amp and it totally blew me away after hearing the difference from my old guitar. sounds great out of a 23 watt amp. Then I plugged it into the Line 6 Flextone III amp, and wow. It really made me not want to change the pickups out for awhile. The only thing I dont really like so much is the neck pickup with distortion. It sounds nice (to me) on clean but I'm sure a lot of people wouldnt like it. It's really chunky.

This guitar is great. I usually played pop punk, alternative, you know that kind of stuff but I have been playing more metal lately and this guitar sounds great for all of it and everything in between. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy another one, simply because they discontinued the Platinum and I dont like the other Specials. I would probably buy an ESP LTD Viper-500 or I would go hunt down the person Who took it and get it back. I love this guitar to death and I am completely happy with it. I compared it to the other SG Specials, the special faded, and even the standards. Didn't like the rosewood fingerboards on the specials, couldn't stand the fadeds whatsoever, and I even prefer this to the standards. The ebony fretboard is the best thing about this guitar and what really sold me on it. that and the platinum finish. I hope this helped.

this guitar would definately withstand live playing. I mean come on, its a Gibson SG. The hardware will last, the strap buttons are pretty solid but I would recomend (as I would with any guitar) strap locks. If I was gigging, I would always have a backup but I'm sure I wouldnt need one. The finish is good, as I stated above. I've really had no problems with this guitar except a string snapping, but that was my fault not the guitars.

The action on this guitar is great. Really low but not so low that it gets messed up in dropped tunings. I play in drop C a lot with 10-46 strings and they dont rattle around. the only thing I would maybe change is the bridge pickup is pretty far up, I might want to lower that. But otherwise its great. The finish is platinum, which is the whole reason I got the special instead of the standard. I love the way it looks, and it's so different. Every time I would bump my old guitar against something a little chip of paint would flake off, but I've bumped this guitar a few times and nothing. cant even notice it.

Okay so this an American made Gibson SG Special. I don't know exactly what year it is but I know that it is new. It has 22 frets on an Ebony fretboard. The ebony fretboard only comes with the Platinum finish. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and grover tuners. they are great, barely ever come out of tune. I think the pickups are the 490's. Two tone, two volume controls, and a three-way pickup selector. I give the features a 10 because I wouldnt ask for any better for 900 bucks.