SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

I use the guitar with a Behringer amp. To be fair, this isn't a brilliant amp but it does the job. The guitar sounds good with a clean sound and even better with distortion. Admitedly, harmonics (except the usual 5th, 7th, and 12th frets) are hard to pull off, which I find with most gibsons, but when achieved sound great.

The guitar matches my style of music (rock/metal) quite well, although I would prefer if harmonics were easier. I've been playing guitar for a good five years now and the only other guitar I could compare it to is my Epiphone Les Paul (Goldtop) and it's a lot better.

I would certainly use this guitar at a gig, I don't think it would break or get damaged. I would be more worried about my amp not working properly. Everything, as I said before, is pretty solid, the grover tuning pegs hold the guitar in tune well and the strap, which also came with the guitar, seems to be staying put.

The guitar has a high gloss, silver finish and a mirrored area surrounding the pickups. I can't find anything wrong with how the guitar has been set up, everything seems pretty solid so far.

I got the SG Special platinum for christmas (2006) and, so far, I can't find hardly any faults with the guitar. It has a mahogany body and neck and two humbucker pickups. The guitar has 22 frets, with no dots or markings on the front but dots on the side, and the neck joins the body at the 19th fret. Mine came with a Gibson USA hardcase and cleaning equipment with a strap, tuning peg winders, three Gibson guitar picks and a 20ft lead.