SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Guitar Gallery

The action is great for solos. The strings aren't low enough to cause buzz but they aren't too high so your fingers wont slide under the strings when bending. The way the guitar is built is a solid guitar (hence SG) the neck does not connect to the body like a Fender would which some people dislike in a guitar so look at what you like in guitar first before buy an SG. Although there is a "tick" that emits from the amp because the humbuckers but it's a very low tick that is barely noticable.

The SG Special is possibly the best solo and Live guitar I've ever had. From cool looks to a reliable build, this guitar kicks ass and takes names compared to other guitars that I've had. You can play anything from blues, to rock, to grung, to metal and it will sound great with all genres. I recommend this guitar to anybody Who plays Live, or if you want a guitar that will last with minimal to zero repairs.

It's durible, and is reliable on all levels. I've played many gigs with my SG Special and most of the time I don't bring a backup guitar even after it's been dropped, stepped on, burned (only a little), smashed against amps, and sweat on it still playes like Brand New. I even think the sound of it gets better every over time. Since it is light it is easier to jump around on stage than with a Les Paul or a bulkier guitar. I've also noticed that the crowd likes the design better than a Strat or Les Paul. The hardware and tuners stay in place even if you drop it, keeping the guitar in tune while playing Live. Although I never had trouble with the strap buttons, I still bought strap locks just in case. The finish is thick and wear-worthy, but is also east to customize as I did with mine.

This guitar is almost built strictly for playing lead and doing solos, it has a great action, and is very lightweight. The whole guitar only weighs about 5 or 6 pounds at the most unlike it's counterpart the Les Paul. There were no flaws on my SG when I bought it, on the body and neck were equally measured so that the neck wasn't heavier than the body causing awkward play. The humbuckers were adjusted perfectly to get the maximum tone and volume.

Along side it's obvious devil horns, the US made Gibson SG Special has other cool features as well. The pickguard is "overlaping" so it gives the SG a "whole" look instead of the half pickguard that most SG Standards have. With two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and a 3-way selector you can easily get Fuzz-face like effect just by switching to the bridge humbucker and turning the tone all the way down. It has a thin Ash body with a Rosewood 22-fret neck. Gibson deluxe classic tuners keep the guitar in tune for a long time, although the G tuner does tend to tune down a hair but it's nothing drastic that would mess up a song.