SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Local Music Store

The sound of this guitar in my opinion, is incredible! Clean sounds are very rich and smooth, but you can also give this guitar some distortion and gain, and this baby blows you away. I play mostly hard rock bands like Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Airbourne, Theory Of A Deadman, and more. I also like a few metal bands, and getting this thing drop tuned sound great as well! The sound is very dirty on the bridge pickup, but on the neck pickup it is very smooth and great for solos.

Overall, this guitar is great for hard rock, as well as other styles of music. The finish is spectacular, and the sound is incredible. I really like how the bridge pickup gives you a really dirty, overdriven sound, while the neck pickup is great for solos. I really despise the tuners, and the fret buzz annoys me to the bitter end, but once you get past that, this guitar is a dream. If I happened to have it stolen, I would definitely have it replaced because of how great it is. For anyone looking for a guitar that can do anything, you must have this instrument!

This guitar is very reliable, and can take just about anything. There are countless times in which I have banged this guitar into a wall, or dropped it on the floor, and the quality still remains great! (except I have banged it around so many times, I have a few nicks and scratches, but you know... Whatever!) The strap buttons are very solid, but my strap itself is bad, and that's what causes me to drop it so often, but that's the strap, not the guitar! If I was in a band, I would definitely use this on stage because I rely on this thing 100%.

This guitar is just beautiful! The finish on mine is absolutely stunning, and it looks even better than the pictures online! There are absolutely no problems with the finish, hardware, nut, etc. But my biggest problems with the guitar, are the tuners, and action! The tuners help the guitar say in tune well, but they are SO loose, that when you try to tune flat, it can be a nightmare! Those things are actually pretty tight when tuning up, but down... Ugh! My other problem is that the action is pretty low, and because of that I am getting the worst case of fret buzz EVER! The buzz is on the low E string, once you pass the fourth fret. Doing power chords there is a pain when you're not plugged in, and all I can here is the buzzing noise. I even had the guitar's tension adjusted to get rid of the problem, but nope! Still buzzing. I plan to have this guitar's action raised, and I will soon put grover tuning heads on it, after that, this SG will be pretty much perfect!

This guitar is made here in the USA, and my model was made in 2008. I've had it for over a year now, and I've decided to make a review of it. This guitar has 22 frets, a mahogany neck and body, and a three way pickup selector with two volume, and two tone knobs. My finish is Heritage cherry, and it is just beautiful! The pickups are two passive 4-90 Alnico II humbuckers. It also has a rosewood fingerboard with a tune-O-matic bridge and a stop bar tailpiece. I'm not sure what brand of tuners are on the guitar, but I think they might be Kluson. Also this guitar included a case (Which said "Epiphone on it by the way! ")