SG Special review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special

Purchased from: Sound Control

I mostly play bluesy rocky songs, some slow calm guitar pieces as well and love the sound of the SG, its got a good rock sound through the bridge and a nice full bright sound from the neck, but it's not the best sound I've heard. I've played a lot of the worn versions of this guitar and they had a much brighter more sustained sound than its finished counter part, given the choice again I would have bought the worn cherry model instead as this guitar has a bit of a dull heavy feel to it.

I've been playing for roughly seven years, I play this guitar through a Vox DA 15, which if I'm honest I'm not a fan of and this may be affecting the sound of this guitar, Over all I think its a very good guitar, but the finish dulls the sound and the odd circles around the posts of the bridges tail piece are a bit annoying. If I had the choice again I would have bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom instead.

I have no doubt in my mind that this guitar will withstand live playing, the hardware seems solid and the wiring looks bomb proof, doub't I'll have any issues with it like I have done with some of my fenders. The finish also came with a lot of warnings about reactions but nothing has reacted, it also isn't as easy to damage as I thought it would have been.

As this guitar was damaged at purchase I have never played the factory set up, but the one it was given is good, the fret board has a lot of room to play about on with bends and such and the srings are very easy to do big bends on without much resistance. Due to my hand size this guitar isn't really suited to me as it is a rather thick neck and wide fret board. I'm not sure if this is just my guitar or if it on all of them, but where the tail piece of the bridge is screwed onto the guitar there are two light in colour circles around the posts that stick out like a sore thumb, and does not match the rest of the guitar, looks very tacky.

This is a 2005 Gibson, SG Special in wine red. With the usual story 22 frets, standard two volume controls and two tone controls with the high hat knobs. It has a 490R pickup in the neck and a 490T in the bridge. The only thing that is not stock on my guitar is the tuners, which are groover deluxe something or other, as the guitar had been damaged in the shop, 4 tuners were snapped, damage and chips on the finish at the bottom and a bit on the back this combined with a sale was why I got it for 450 new. A Gibson gigbag is provided with these guitars, and to be honest for what you're paying and the quality of the guitar its pathetic, its just a flimsy little back that I suspect would sell for 10 if it did not have Gibson written on it, the bags I got free with my Fenders had much more padding.