SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Great sound for rock, sounds good distorted or clean. I use it with a DigiTech RP80 Multi-Effect, and a Fender FM212R Amp. It has low noise, and a full sound. It has a decent range of sounds; deep mellow to twangy and everything in between.

I play alot of classic-style rock, this guitar is perfect for the style. I also own a Fender Strat, an Epiphone Les Paul, a Martin acoustic and a Fender amp. If it were stolen or lost I would buy another. I love the action and sound. I hate the strap buttons. I compared it to a Gibson LP Junior, and a second-hand Fender Jaguar. The features and sound were much better on this one. I wish it came with a hardshell SG case.

This guitar will absolutely withstand live playing. It comes with a padded gig bag, but a hardshell case would probably be a good investment. The hardware seems rugged. The strap buttons arn't the greatest. It is quite dependable, I could gig with it without worrying about a backup. The finish is thin and wears easily, purpously, for the 'Faded' look.

The guitar was set up well, and had great action out of the box. No flaws.

- Year: 2004 - Mfrd.: USA - Fingerboard: 22-fret, 24 3/4" scale length, rosewood, dot inlays - Neck: rounded, mahogany - Body: solid mahogany - Finish: 'Faded' red (or brown) - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic - Tailpiece: stopbar - Electonics: passive; 2 humbuckers (Gibson open 490R (Neck)+490T (bridge) Alnico magnet) - Tuners: Gibson Green Key - Controls: two volume, two tone, three-way Switch.

~Funky monk~
    your right Tony Iommi uses one
    ***jacob***
    1. They payed a lot for those! At guitar center it is always $580! 2. Whoever said SG's are not for punk is way wrong. Ever seen bad religion? They always use SG's and always have.
    bosta84
    filthylittleboy wrote: you guys are all lame... sg's are ugly, and why would so many people review the same guitar? wow...
    It's better to have many reviews on one product so people can have a balanced overview of the product...instead of having one biased one by some dick you thinks they are "ugly" and doesn't give a balanced review. go wow yourself.
    FrodoBagginz
    I got this for Christmas. its an amazing guitar, very versatile sound, and feels great.
    sebwillis1
    i bought one of these after i bought an ibanez xpt700, which was worse than crap. this is an amazing guitar, although it took my a while to get used to the neck on it seeing as how the xiphos is so damn thin. but yeah, awesome guitar =]
    gibson243
    are you stupid???? sg not for punk or hardcore?? an sg is used way more often in hardcore and punk bands then in blues!!!! watch some bands play before you leave a stupid comment like that.
    rama_maiden93
    i don`t understand why people says that strap buttons sucks!!! just buy a pair of strap locks!!1
    DNC
    yeah, ive got this in worn cherry. it is absolutely brilliant. i played a few in the store- fender strat, tele, and HH, this was by far the nicest. i love how accessible the higher notes are, and im not playing it through a tube either, im playing it through a 90 watt fender, and it sounds, BEAUTIFUL. no matter what i play, this thing... it sounds so great.
    GrayFoxz
    i want to know that too... and is there any difference other then the "faded" look from the special and special faded?
    stigmeister2win
    great review's, i find this guitar very interesting. In the start i liked Fender guitar the most the fender strat. But since ive tried my friend's les paul ive changed my mind.. But how does this guitar look? i mean is it like its used or does it still looks new? - i know the paint i faded and stuff but still does it look new? //Stig
    Dabarro
    One little question: What (brand/model) pickup covers will fit on this guitar?
    cheeseisthebomb
    If I planed on buying this and changeing the pickups, what kind should I buy. I'm looking for that old 60s vintage sound. Or will the stock pickups handle that?
    Brad_Bassist
    Because alot of people have different thoughts of the guitar and it's sound.
    Korzack
    I've got one of these, in the cherry (Guitar fascist time, but to me, SG's don't look right in any other colour). Do badly want a faded V though - Finally saw one in the flesh and was 'Ook - tha's pretty', but I'll leave that for a while - I need a proper amp first.
    gumbloid
    I already own a Gibson LP Special faded cherry and it looks like the pickups might be the same. I am currently looking into picking up this SG and then replacing the pickups with P93/P90. Has anyone tried this yet? Also, I want to have a wammy bar installed. There is a local custom shop who will install the pickups and the wammy for me. Still thinking about it though...
    jamesdjharrod
    They've made a Faded V and a Faded SG. They NEED to make more faded guitars. They're awesome and cost-effective.
    robo516
    i got this guitar about a month ago, i used many guitars in stores before getting this one(ibanez, esp, b.c rich, and a few gibsons) and this one was the best
    johnnyray666
    I own the worn brown finished SG. It is a pretty good guitar. I don't understand why when people do a review on a guitar, they have a fit over the pick-up height and the action. That is shit you should do yourself, to your liking. You shouldn't expect the factory to know how you like your setup. Every guitarist should know how to set their own guitars up. It aint hard. You just need a flathead screwdriver to adjust the pick-up height. And a bigger one to adjust the stoptail.
    mr. ...
    xsv wrote: nah, the paint is pefect. in my opinion its better than some other sg's cuz the body isnt as glossy to leave fingerprints, while still maintaining an excellent shine.
    yeah but it still gets beat up easily
    zippyfloon92
    if ur gunna buy an sg get one of these. 100% gibson. seriously the only things different from the standard is the less glossy finish,wich i prefer, and dots instead of traps. i put a pair of humbucker covers on mine and it looks absolutly awesome.
    kckyle
    i dont know how much u guys paid for urs nor do i care. but the price u get now is $579 usd. which after plus tax is goin to be 625 or around there. the reason why the faded sg is alott cheaper is cause of the paint job. notice theey say pay for the guitar not the paint job at most websites. the faeded sg sounds exactly the same as the standard sg which cost around 1-1.2 grand
    kckyle
    if u do anything to try customize the guitar or make it better. u void the waranty. and no this guitar can play out any sound u want. just lower or raise teh pickups and u get a different tone. i lowered my bridge pickup and it sound like my american delux strat
    markisouvlaki
    Really Great, versatile guitar. Also, to the guy who asked...not all Gibsons have tune-o-matic, certain explorer and Flying V models have a floyd rose bridge, and I think there are SGs with that funny old-style whammy bar
    pedalguy1
    I just got this Axe as a graduation present, and ive had my eye on it for some time. I just love how thick sounding it is. Its Great for hard rock and has tons of sustain when used with distortion. Plus the worn brown finish is just plain sexy. This is a really cool guitar.
    tristboyer
    dweagle wrote: cool love it but u can get one on ibanez that looks just like it. has humbuckers too.
    are you talking about the GAX series?
    miguul911
    i always thought sg's are sweet... whenever i see one, for some reason it reminds me of angus young...
    nevin021s
    angusyoung_sg wrote: i abolutely love SG's there the greatest guitar ever created. i have an epi sg cuz im too lazy to work and buy a gibson. but if i were going to spend over $1000 on a guitar i wouldnt buy this one. i would get an SG Standard. its higher in class and alot nicer. my buddy has the faded sg and its like the lowest class of the sg's.
    Dude, they are wayy less than 1000$. They are like 500$-689$
    dweagle
    zoomzoom
    i got this exact guitar. i got it on sale for 800. its amazing. Why pay 1000 more for a standard when this is exactly the same but cheaper. great on clean, dirty, great for jazz, metal, even finger picking. its beautiful.
    filthylittleboy
    tracie19
    my neighbor's half-sister makes $70 hourly on the internet. She has been laid off for five months but last month her paycheck was $17706 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here's the site to read more NuttyRich.com
    MARLTALLICA
    I own this guitar, bought it from PMT Birmingham a couple of years back the only one problem with this guitar is the neck, im not sure what wood is used, but i didnt use to use the right cleaning materials. so it got very dirty and almost un-playable. But since cleaning the neck with Dunlop lemon oil, it plays like a gem. if i was to break this guitar beyond fixing, lose it or have it stolen, i would not go and buy a new one. In my opinion you should save that extra bit of money and buy a Gibson SG standard or maybe even a Les paul traditional or standard (dont buy any of that ibanez-shredding sh*t) SO..... If you have one, clean it, ALOT If you dont have one, save a bit more and get a Standard Gibson!!!
    ksmash5
    How is the price range so differen't from all of you that bought these? from $500 - $1000. What's the difference? new or used.. or what
    stigmeister2win
    guys it finally came down to that i got one of these myself great guitar! good sound i would rate it 10!
    davids2010
    My friend just got one of these, and he loves. I tryed it. It plays so great and has a good sound.
    ThrashIsGreat
    Proud owner of one, for four years this august. It's the first guitar I ever owned, and I'll have it forever. Swapped in some EMGs and got a setup, and it screams. Plays better than some of my friends $2200 USA Jackson's.
    moonshot
    moonshot wrote: This is truly a basic Gibson SG.But it is also a true made in America Gibson SG special guitar. I bought mine at guitar center for $589.00. Since then the price has gone UP to 699.00. (go figure!). I knew when I got it that it was going to need some work to set it right. All "New" guitars do. I scrapped the stock knobs for gibson speeds, put on an A6 fine tune tailpiece (if it's good enough for BB king it's good enough for me!) and replaced the tuners with Sperzel lockers.After a pro setup for $70.00 this guitar flat out Freakin ROCKS!
    moonshot
    This is truly a basic Gibson SG.But it is also a true made in America Gibson SG special guitar. I bought mine at guitar center for $589.00. Since then the price has gone UP to 699.00. (go figure!). I knew when I got it that it was going to need some work to set it right. All "New" guitars do. I scrapped the stock knobs for gibson speeds, put on an A6 fine tune bridge (if it's good enough for BB king it's good enough for me!) and replaced the tuners with Sperzel lockers.After a pro setup for $70.00 this guitar flat out Freakin ROCKS!
    SL!!!
    ~Funky monk~ wrote: eddiehimself wrote: cam201 wrote: Ember you are an idiot you dont use any SG for punk or hardcore its not designed for that. just classic rock and blues No YOU are an idiot. The Les Paul was originally designed 4 jazz players but that hasn't stopped it from becoming 1 of (if not the) best rock guitar out there. Likewise the sg is used in tons of hardcore, metal, rock, emo, punk, grunge, pretty much ne modern heavy music aswell as lighter stuff and classic rock and blues aswell. your right Tony Iommi uses one
    Holy crap guys, you can use any guitar for just about any style. You don't need to have the stereotypical tone of the style to play it, and you can customize your own tone too. Fuckin' A. Granted, some guitars may give you a different sound you may want to utilize for the right effect and stuff, but that's the point, there isn't just ONE guitar for everything, they can all do stuff. Like a symphony has many different instruments for timbre, tone and all of that, there are also tons of different guitars that can be used for whatever.
    SL!!!
    "I play...metalcore, nu-metal..." Off topic, but my guess is, if you are playing nu-metal you aren't playing metalcore, but just what people who don't know much underground music call metalcore...like As I Lay Dying. lol.