SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: Soundcontrol London

I play hard rock, metalcore, nu-metal and blues, and this guitar is most suitable. Everyone who is anyone knows the tone for rock and metal that this guitar produces with its two overwhelmingly powerful humbuckers. However I was in shock at it's handling of my blues improv in the store and it stood up well against all others I tried, including Schecter C-1's (including plus', elites and the standard), Schecter S-1, Fender Thinline Tele. Unfortunately I am not currently running this guitar through a tube amp, though it deserves it. But the sound is still sharp responsive and controllable. When I tried it I knew, thats all I will say.

As mentioned, the style of music I play completely covered by this welcome addition to my ever improving collection. My current rig is: Fender Japanese Strat (1983) with floyd rose, ESP LTD M-107, Cort Z22 with Armstrong pickups, Crafter electro-acoustic, Yamaha Pacifica 112. If it were stolen or lost, it would be my intention get another, possibly a platinum though. But I would not be afraid to purchase another of these, I am considering adding another to my collection. I know, I have terrible guitar aquisition syndrome.

It will withstand live playing and I would gladly go in to a gig without a backup, if I only needed one guitar. Everything, hardware and strap buttons included are rock fucking solid. Not one complaint. It also has a nice finish that seems it will age well and become a ver Vintage looking guitar with age.

Perfect setup, with the exception of the bridge pickup being way to high. No other faults reported to date. All hardware and finishing were perfect.

New this year, american made. Basically your standard SG setup. 22 frets, stoptail, chrome hardware, Faded cherry. What else would you buy an SG for?