SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

This is only my third guitar, and it sounds great. Only two days before me, my friend purchased the Les Paul Studio which I think is the brother model to the Faded Special. They are very similar in appearance, and do not sound much different. The sound is great, the only thing is the studio is more bluesy than the SG, but it sounds great nonetheless. I play rock, hard rock, soft rock, garage rock, classic rock, nu-metal, indi-rock, basically any rock. I love it on my Fender 25R Frontman amp, and it gives excellent quality. It is a full sound and will knock your socks off. Right now I've only performed bends, and screams on the sound. My next journey to Guitar Center I am going to try it with a wah pedal to see how it compares to the Studio on a wah.

Great guitar. The only thing I would get next to this, would be the Fender Jaguar or the Les Paul Studio. My favorite features is definately the thick sound it creates whether distorted or clean and cranked up in clean gives off great natural distortion. The only things I wish were different is the pickup was lower, and was 75' humbuckers. But I think the higher pickup gives it some character. Um also just would like a better looking fretboard. The dots are just ugly. The only thing else I wish it featured is probably a wammy bar. It'd be completely original for the SG to have it.

Very durable. I trust this guitar so much. Why? The straps dont stay in at all. I have dropped this on concrete, carpet, tile, etc and it still works great with no scratches. Just the strap holders are unreliable. For example, every single time it fell on the ground is b/c the strap. It has also survived a fall down a wooden flight of stairs in the gig bag. Good investment indeed (ok that time was b/c I had ice on my shoe and I fell).

The finish I didn't like too much. So I added a layer of wood finish and it looks excellent. I have the brown copy and it looks so much better and feels better with the 1 layer of finish I added. I left the cutouts unfinished to see the difference over time, and now they feel the same really, but the cutouts just look uglier than the finished body. The action is great, just wish the pickup was lower. I lowered it yesturday, but the sound sounded more trebly so I changed it back. It just felt weird being so low.

The features have been presented many times, and so have the technical work so I will not say much about it. The only thing I wish was different about the pickups is that istead of the 490s, it was '75 Humbuckers. Its just a personal preference b/c I like the look better, and also the fretboard just seems ugly. Simply because the dots, I am most likely going to get it customed once I get some more money to take the dots out and paint something better instead.