SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: Musikcentralen

I play bluesy stuff I guess, mostly noodling around on blues scales and such at home. I like the sound of the neck pickup, very warm and round. I don't know if it's just me, but the bridge pickup sounds a bit weak to me, tried to adjust the height of the bridge pickup and that made it a bit better I think I might change pickups soon though. But in general I think that it is a good and fat sound with a lot of character. If I compare it with the JEM this one sounds more alive and not as sterile.

I've been playing about 10 years now, my other gear is a Laney LC15 Tube amp, Zakk Wylde overdrive, DigiTech MultiChorus, a Boss GT-3 (and a VOX Tonelab on it's way). If it was stolen or lost, I'd consider buying another one, or maybe the SG Standard. My favourite feature of the guitar is the feel of playing it, as well as looking the right way, and that it has good sound. Overall I'm happy that I bought it, it's a very nice guitar.

I haven't really been playing with this guitar live, so I wouldn't know. It seems to be well built though. The guitar doesn't seem to go out of tune very easily and the tuners seem really good. The strap buttons look good to me, but as I've said I haven't been gigging with it, heard people say that it's best to buy straplocks so I think I'd do that. I suppose that the finish is supposed to wear on this model right?

I got the guitar set up when I bought it, so I guess all that stuff is pretty good. As I mentioned I tried to raise the bridge pickup to bring up the volume on that one. I can't say that I have found any flaws on the guitar, although it had been hanging at the wall at the store, so there are some very minor marks on it, can't hardly see it though. One thing that I didn't really like was that the fretboard was a little bit too light coloured it didn't look quite right. I'm sure that it's not affecting the playability though, it just looks funny.

I guess that other people has already described the features of the guitar. It's very basic with the Tune-O-Matic bridge, no hassle tuning it or fixing the intonation. Don't use a whammy bar anyways. I used to have an Ibanez JEM 7DBK (Steve Vai model) before I changed to this one. What I like about the SG compared to the Ibanez is the thicker neck which is more comfortable on my opinion. One thing that I also like is that the neck is wider which I think makes bending easier. I think it looks much better in reality than on pictures. One thing that I have to complain about a bit is that the gig bag that comes with the guitar doesn't seem to have that much padding, I wouldn't really rely on that. So I think I'll buy a light-case from rockbag.