SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

I did not expect this instrument to sound as good as it does! It is very versitile and is good for a wide variety of music styles. I typically play blues/rock, but now I have been experimenting with just about anything! This guitar sounds very good clean and pretty good with the distortion. I really love the way this guitar sounds stock, but I'm reconsidering the neck pickup, because I think it is too chunky sounding when distorted. I play into a Crate practice amp and a peavy bass amp which actually sounds good. I'm planning to purchase a Fender deluxe tube amp to better increase my tone. I love the versatility of this guitar! You can easily get that warm and creamy blues sound, or that hot and thick metal sound, and everything in between. This guitar by far has the best tone out of all of the guitars I have played in the past 6 years.

I play mostly blues/rock or anything but country. Yes, I do believe that this guitar is well suited for my style playing and just about anything! I have been playing the guitar for 6.5 years and I started out on a lower end Samick guitar and later began using my fathers mid '80s customized Fender Japenese made Strat. Although the Strat is nice, I definately prefer my SG. I wish I had asked about the tuners before I purchased the guitar. That is so, because I am curious as to how much worse they perform than the graver tuners found on other Gibson instruments. If my SG was lost or stolen, I would first try to retrieve it, but if that failed, I would definately purchase the same instrument. That is so, because I see great value and quality in this guitar. It is a Gibson, meaning that it is of high quality, and I love most things about it. I don't really believe that I could compare the SG to any other products, because most other less popular guitar companies model after Gibson designs and the SG is very different from any other guitar of it's caliber; example: a mid to high end Fender. My least favorite feature would have to be those damn tuning pegs, for the reasons I previously stated. My favorite feature would have to be the bridge pickup, because I simply love the way it sounds. I wish it had the grover tuners because they perform much better than the Gibson ones. Overall I would recomend this guitar to anyone Who wants a quality instrument at an affordable price!

This guitar could definately withstand Live playing. All the hardware seems like it would last, but I'm not pleased with the stock tuners and thier reliability as far as staying in tune may be an issue. The way the strap buttons are mounted on the instrument make it easy for the guitar to come off the strap, so I got strap locks. With a SG I would consider strap locks a necessity. I definately believe that this instrument is very dependable and whether you need a back up guitar while performing really depends on whether you have a chromatic tuner, or if you are not finding any issues with the tuning. Everything else on the instrument I would pass as exceptionally reliable. Although basic, I believe the finish on this instrument is very reliable because it not is not laminated like some higher end finishes, thus, it is less succeptable to chips, but I sense that wear in the finish could occur.

This guitar has the best action! It is very smooth moving up and down the neck and you can bend the strings of the neck without a struggle! When I got this guitar home I noticed no flaws with the factory set up, I have made no futher adjustments on it. As you would expect with an SG Faded special, the finish is very basic. I do like the finish; it is very classic looking. Because the finish is not glossy, it is very hard to chip, opposed to a higher end finish. I noticed a few hardly noticable marks on the finish, but I think that's all apart of the whole "less expensive" faded finish. Overall, the action, playability, and finish was excellent.

I got a 2007 SG Special Faded guitar made in Nashville Tennessee, which I recieved as a gift, but it was purchased at guitar Center. This guitar is superb! It has the faded mahogany finish, the Tune-O-Matic bridge, the alnico 490s, and a rosewood fretboard. It has 22 frets. It of course has the classic SG double horn body w/ a solid finish that does not chip at all! It is solid mahogany w/ the acception of the fretboard (rosewood). It has 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls, and a three way selector Switch. I would definately recomend the strap locks, considering that all Gibson guitars do not have a bolt-on neck, so if something were to happen to the area where the neck and body meet, the repair expenses would be costly! Another note; the Faded Special only comes w/ a gigbag and I would recomend upgrading to a hardshell! Overall I love this guitar, with the exception of the Gibson plastic headed tuning pegs, because the go out of tune more frequently in comparison to the grover tuners that are used on other Gibson guitar models.