SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend.com

This guitar fits my styles very well. I play hard rock/pop-punk/post-hardcore/emo/screamo/metal/glam(80s) rock/grunge/and classic rock. It can play all of these very well. It does lack in the hardcoe/metal genres, but it still is capable of pulling them off. I use it with a Fender Blues Junior and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal and it sounds wonderful. I can have the pedal switched off to get that classic Fender tube sound and Switch it on to get a very light distortion to a verrry heavy distortion. The 490's don't hold up as well with a lot of distortion, but I usually don't use full on distortion that much. I am still planning to get different pickups, possibly Seymour Duncans. This guitar is not noisy, the pickups give a well rounded Gibson sound.

As I said before, this guitar fits my musical styles very well. I have been playing for about two years and it's better than anything I have owned/own. I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and even though that is a great guitar, I would definitely choose my SG over that. If it were stolen/lost, I would save up and buy something else. Probably a Gibson New Century V-Factor, or a Silverburst SG Standard. I love the playability and the comfort, aside from the thick neck. The things I wish it had were better pickups and a slimmer neck similar to a Ibanez Wizard II neck. Overall, good job Gibson!

I'm pretty sure this guitar will hold up against live playing. It seems pretty solid to me. Nothing is lose or has fallen off. I could play this guitar without a backup, but I would prefer to have my Epiphone LP as a backup. It doesn't have any lacquer or polyurethane, so there really isn't a finish.

This guitar came very well out of the box. The body is a solid piece of mahogany which is BEAUTIFUL with the satin/worn finish. The only complaints I have are: the frets weren't rounded very well and it seems as if the neck was not cut properly because it is very rounded and pretty thick, but maybe they come that way. Oh, and I had my gutiar teacher intonate it, but what guitar don't you need intonated?

My guitar was made in 2006 at the Gibson Plant in Nashville, Tennesse. There are 22 frets, solid body, all mahogany, satin finish, Tune-O-Matic and stopbar, Gibson 490 humbucking pickups, 2 volume/tone, 3-way pickup selector, Gibson green key tuners, and it includes a gigbag and an owner's manual.