SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

I play mostly alternative, progressive, punk, and hard rock, and this guitar definitely suits all those styles. I play it through a Crate GTD212 and it sounds great. On clean it's got a nice, full, bassy sound, really good for blues. Set to overdrive, it has a nice, crunchy, chunky sound, perfect for punk and hard rock. On lead channel, it delivers a warm, smooth sound, which is perfect for solos. Sustains great, too.

I bought and returned about 5 or 6 guitars before settling on this, and even before I bought it, through all the guitars I tried out and took interest in, my eye kept wandering back to this SG. This is my first "professional" guitar, as all my other guitars have been starters, but I know a good guitar when I play one. The thing about this guitar, however, is that Gibson seems to have put out quite a few "duds". You might not get a good one the first time you buy it, but you will definitely find a good one if you keep looking. If it were lost or stolen, I'd definitely save up to buy another. It'd be cool if it had a bigsby on it, but I plan on adding that later, when I come across enough money to buy one. This guitar easily stands up to it's older brother, the SG Standard, though you're probably gonna want to add some pickup covers. Overall, if you're looking for that true Gibson SG sound at an affordable price, and don't mind sacrificing looks, buy this guitar.

This guitar definitely withstands live playing. You'll want to get straplocks for it though, since I've heard the neck is very fragile. I've been lucky enough to be holding it every time the strap has come off, so I haven't had to worry about it. One thing I've noticed, and you'll probably hear this in a lot of reviews for this guitar, is that the finish scratches very easily, though in my opinion, that just adds to the looks of it. It makes it feel more like your own. I would definitely play this guitar during a gig with no backup and no worries.

My guitar was set up perfectly when I got it, although the intonation was a bit off. No problem, of course, as this can be fixed easily. I did notice a flaw where the finish seems to be worn on the inside of one of the cutaways. It plays awesome. The chunky neck is perfect for my big hands, and despite what you may have heard from other people Who do not own the guitar, but have "used it" (which in my opinion, does not at all constitute experience with it), it doesn't at all feel like you're about to get a Splinter from the guitar's neck.

Basically all the same specs as the SG Standard, just with a faded finish, which is probably why this guitar costs so much less. I wouldn't bother to write anything else past that first sentence, because there's really nothing else to say, but UG won't let me post this without writing a whole f**ing paragraph, apparently.