SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

I play Surf Rock mostly, so this guitar isn't real suited for that style. I also play a lot of classic rock, southern rock and heavy metal. I run this guitar through a Boss NS2 noise gate and then directly into a Peavey 100 watt TransTube Supreme head plugged into a Peavey 4X12 cab. This guitar is a little noisy before adding a noise gate. I actually like the pickups. They have a nice fat tone. It sounds best with some distortion, but holds it's own on the clean side too.

I have been playing guitar for 8 years now, and have owned several guitars and amps. I use a Fender '62 Reissue Jaguar for the Surf Rock stuff, and my Gibson Les Paul Classic, Dean ML Select and my Epiphone Les Paul Custom G-400 for everything else. I really like this guitar, so if it were lost or stolen I would buy a new one. These guitars make rock solid backup guitars. I don't like how you can see the seams on the multi-piece body, but that is what helps make this guitar affordable. I tryed out some other guitars, SG standards and Epiphones, but this one seemed to be the best pick at the time for what I needed, which was a backup guitar.

This guitar would survive some Live playing, because it seems to be pretty solid. The hardware is of high quality, but the strap buttons are too small. So you would need to put on some strap locks. It seems pretty dependable. I think you should always bring a backup guitar, so I bought this guitar for that purpose. It is much easier to change guitars in the middle of a song if you break a string then it is to change a string.

I bought it at guitar center, so it was already set-up. The pickups were way too low, but Guitar Center set it up that way. The hardware seems to be pretty high quallity, the only thing wrong was that the factory did not completely tighten a screw that holds one of the tuning pegs to the headstock, but I fixed that when I got home. The frets do seem a little sharp at the ends.

I believe this guitar was made in 2006, in the USA. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard with Dot inlays, with a multi-piece mohagany body and a one piece mohagany 50's style neck. It come equipped with a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a stop tailpiece. Mine has a faded brown finish. It has alnico 490 pickups, with 2 tone, 2 volume knobs and a 3-way pickup selector switch. The tuners are the basic Gibson Deluxe tuners with the green keys.