SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Price paid: € 570

Purchased from: Keymusic Belgium

I play in a rockband and the powerfull sound of the 490R and 490T really meets my needs. My other guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Std Faded and the SG completes it. I Switch between guitars during gigs to get the sound that I want en especially when play leads high on the neck, its more easy to do on the SG. It sounds really powerfull, it has a warm and rich tone and I can get that real classic crisp rocktone aswel as the more modern highgain tones... I play it live thru a Marshall JVM410 stack and I can say that I really blows the crowd away. I love this guitar and those pickups. Of course I think this guitar can do almost everything I need it to do... But I don't need a twangy-fender-like sound, so if that's what you need... get a Fender... If its pure tone and power you're after...this SG is right up your alley!

I'm not sure what will be my main axe now, the SG or the Les Paul.. They both rock like the best of them. The SG is a rock'n roll workhorse and I love it! I've been playing for 9years now and owned rather a few guitars. I don't want to sound like i'm a brand-addict but Gibson makes a mean guitar. I'm sure there are other brand that make good or even better guitars but for 570euro... this really is a steal!

This one needs no explaining... It's Gibson....It is made for live-playing and thats what I use it for... Of course I play it at home as well. And I'm sure i will play it for many many fears to come! Just to be on the safe side i'd swapped out the strapbuttons for some chrome Marvel locking strapbuttons. I always do that on my guitars, I would't want my guitar to fall on the ground while I'm playing... Like i've said earlier the finish is really thin, I like that kind off finish, it ages really nicely. I play a Gibson Les Paul Std Faded for 4 years or so and the finish is still the same... I'm guessing this will be no different.

The guys from Keymusic Ghent set the guitar up for me and they did a good job as usual (really good service, thx guys). But stil I've lowerd the action a little bit, changed the strings from .10 to .11 Ernie Ball slinkys, now it suits me perfect. There are no flaws in this guitar, the fretwork is very nicely done. I build guitars myself as a hobby so I know what I'm talking about

This guitar was build in 2010 in USA. It has 22 frets with an Standard Gibson guitarscale. I's a solid mahoganie body, flat top and and mahoganie neck. For the finish they used the cherry stain on mine ans sealed it off with a very thin coat of matte nitro-lacquer. Of course it had the well known SG shape with the stock Gibson hardware like a Nashville TOM and a tailpiece in chrome. The pickups are stock 490R and 490T AlNiCo 2 humbuckers with no covers. You can Switch between the pickups by means of the 3 way-switch. The tuners are Gibson Deluxe keystone tuners and the do the job really well.. This guitar comes in a gigbag but I've purchased a case as well because I gig a lot... No accessories here...