SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: Guitar Center Poland

I mainly play rock and metal music (Alter Bridge, Metallica, GNR styles), and my Standard setup is Engl Fireball 60 plugged to Engl 4x12 Standard Slanted cab. I also use a Crybaby wah plugged BEFORE the amp. The guitar sounds very rich: deep lows, full mids and sparkling highs. It satisfies me completely (so I may be a bit subjective). You can feel every note, both in your fret hand and under the arm, which I find very important. Generally: it sounds both heavy and selectively.

As for me, a young, not bad but still learning a lot guitarist, playing some heavier music, both rhythm and solo stuff, it is a perfect fit. The guitar is noticably lightweight (which came as a surprise when I held it for the first time). I can say I love this guitar, and after I got it SG became my favourite guitar ever.

This is definitely the guitar that is build to last, if you take care of it. The construction in general is really solid and you can both see and feel that. The hardware also appears to be durable and well-made, and time showed that it really is. The strap buttons are Standard Gibson ones, but while using a leather strap I recommend using straplocks. The front button is placed at the back and the strap is constantly twisted, so it is not so easy for the guitar to fall, believe me. Anyway: I consider it to be one of the aspects of SG's construction and still give 10 points for Durability. I used it a few times without a backup, on some smaller performances. It lever let me down.

The only thing I had to do after I'd got it was tuning. The bridge, the action in general was fine, intonation was proper and no buzz was there to be heard. The pickup height is pretty much always the same in SG guitars, and mine was no exception. What I loved about it is how carefully it has been made: no poor work I could notice. And you always like to recive a well-made item for your money. Love the wood texture. I guess Gibson won't let you down, It didn't let me down anyway.

My guitar is 2008 Gibson SG Special Faded Worn Brown. Probably the most popular model to buy for a while, because of its relatively low price. 22 nickel/silver alloy frets on a rosewood fingerboard, one-piece mahogany neck, mahogany body, Tune-o-Matic Bridge with Stopbar tailpiece. Gibson 490 humbuckers, 3-way switch... Everything standard. No binding, no high-gloss - just a fine raw guitar. A Gibson Gig Bag was included (very well made, no complaints about it), however soon I've bought a hard case for it.