SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

I bought this from a friend for $500, and it was one of the best investments I ever made. The only thing I did was change the pickups to Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1s. I play anything from soft jazz to R&B to heavy metal. I've found that even with the old Alnico pickups it was suitable for all styles. I play it through a DigiTech RP150 to a Roland Cube 80XL, and it sounds freakin' awesome! With clean tones it can have a warm almost Acoustic sound, or a twangy almost strat-like sound, at least with the new pickups.

I've been playing for four years practically unceasing practice, and this guitar holds up well. I used to use an Epiphone Les Paul, but I've barely played it since I got this one. I also have a nice Takamine acoustic. I would probably get this again if it was stolen or lost. I do wish it had 24 frets, but this is an all-around awesome guitar at a low price, I recommend it to anyone looking for a good rock machine, or really any style there is.

This guitar is awesome to play live, and really withstands my hammering on it's strings. The old alnico pickups probably would have lasted a lot longer, but I switched them out anyway. There was nothing wrong with them. I would use this with no backup if I had to, definitely! The finish is good, but I've made some fresh scratches with my belt on the back.

I didn't get it from the factory, it was about seven years old when I got it, but I rate a nine anyway. I like the action the way it was, the only problem I had was the intonation was way off. The strap buttons kinda suck, but that's a small price to pay for a crazy good guitar.

Year 2003 or 2004, made in U.S., 22 frets, faded cherry finish, two volume, two tone, 3-way pickup selector, two Alnico II humbuckers, all cliche SG features. I like that it's not a glossy top, also I like the flat top. I got it with a molded SG case for free, that was a bonus.