SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: guitarguitar

I've found that my Gibson SG can cover any sound I throw at it, from light, classical guitaring to dropped down heavy riffs. I use it with a hi-watt 50 watt practice amp ran through a dime distortion pedal and there isn't a sound it can't pull off. As I mentioned earlier, I did change the bridge pick-up, but that was through personal preference.

My overall impression of this guitar is this. It is a guitar to fall in love with, I'll play anything from classical guitar right up to Lamb Of God and it handles it all in its stride. I've been playing for 4 years now and my previous guitar (indie SG copy) stays in its case, unused because there is nothing the Gibson can't do. If it where lost or stolen I would personally search the earth for it, because I have grown to love this guitar. I only wish it had a tremolo bar, but Bigsby supply one which can be fitted, and I am currently saving for it.

I have played this guitar live on a few occasions, and it handled it well, in the few years I've owned it, its taken one or 2 knocks, but it was still fine and in tune. The hardware is of a very high quality, and works on a solder-less construction which keeps things simple. I have had no problems with the strap buttons to mention. I am confident this guitar will out live me.

The action was low when I got my guitar, but there was no fret buzz which I was pleased to see, the bridge pick-up is set very high, but I don't really find it much of a problem. I chose the brown finish, and I'm glad I did, the grain of the mahogany shines in the light to give a retro beauty to the guitar.

I got my Gibson SG in the beginning of 2009 though it was built in 2008. It was handmade in America and comes with a free gig bag when bought. It has 22 frets, set neck design and 2 Gibson made pick-ups. I did change the bridge pick-up to a Seymour Duncan invader through personal preference.