SG Special Faded review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Faded

Purchased from: Coda-music

I play mostly hardcore and metal. Occasionally, If I am just jamming by my self, I will play some blues or jazz. It can cope very well with almost every style of playing, however I would definitely say it is more well suited to the more aggressive styles due to the powerful pickups. One thing that this guitar does extraordinarily well is let the guitars acoustic qualities Shine through, I really like how this allows me to have a really clear yet distorted tone when I play high gain things, in fact the richness of the sound means that I often use about half the gain of the other guitarist in our band! As it is an SG and not a Tele you shouldn't expect to get that really twangy single coil sound, but for what this guitar is made for I am yet to play anything I prefer. If any one wants to hear the guitar in action - it is on my bands new EP, which is available here.

Like I said I play mainly hardcore and metal and this guitar is brilliant for that. In the studio recordings I linked to earlier I am playing through a Hayden AGT40 at home I just have a little Hughes And Kettner amp. If it were to be stolen or lost I would probably look around to see if there is anything else that I like, that being said I would also be distraught if it were to be stolen or lost. This brings me on nicely to the only thing I really have against these guitars, they are all very different to play! When I was in the shop trying them out I played three of the same model and only liked the one I have, so if you are interested in buying a Gibson with a lovely soft finish I would seriously recommend trying more than one, the others in store just didn't cut it for me however my one is truly beautiful.

This is one solid guitar, the thing has taken all of the usual bumps with no real damage, granted it has a couple of dents and scratches but I'm a gigging guitarist, that will happen! I did change out the original strap buttons for some nice straplocks, the originals were a little bit small and I was very cautious of my old strap slipping off. The finish is amazing as it is not glossy, it is just stained, this means that the dents and scratches hardly show at all.

When I first got this guitar I had to change A few things just due to personal preference, it came with 9 gauge strings and a slightly higher action than I like. I personally like nice heavy stings and a very low action. Other than this the only thing that I have needed to adjust is the height of the bridge pick up, It was too high and was actually being hit by the strings when I lowered the action. As soon as I had made these little changes the guitar found a little place in my heart.

I have a 2008 Faded SG Special and I really like it. I bought this guitar after my beloved Epiphone gold top completely died. I really like the finish on this model, in store I played on some of the other Gibson SGs, including the more expensive standards, and I preferred this one due to its smooth neck (I often feel as if gloss necks are a bit too grippy, as they seem to make my hands sweat a little.) The pickups on this guitar are two high output humbuckers, they stay very clear through even the thickest of fuzzes and distortions. Other than that it has the features you would expect on an SG: good, solid Gibson tuners; tune-o-matic bridge; three way pick up selector and a tone and volume control for each pick up.

burningscythe
    Anyone here owns both the special faded and the standards? Care to share if the standards are worth the money. Cause over my place the standards cost almost double the cost compared to the special faded. I was wondering should I spend more to buy the standard instead?
    mikesmith1972
    I currently own the special faded and used to own a standard. If you change out the pickups, which I did on both, the only differences are cosmetic. A standard will hold it's value better, if you think you may sell it in the future. And it comes with a Gibson hard shell case, where the special only comes with a gig bag, something else to consider if you think you may sell it.