SG Special Voodoo review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Voodoo

Purchased from: Williams Music

I play mostly punk, grunge and metal and this guitar is brilliant for them all! I play using a Fender Deluxe 112 plus amd and I am amazed by the clarity and lack of any buzz whatsoever from the pickups, there brilliant! You can get a great range of tones from this guitar, from very deep bass from the neck pickup, to very high tones from the bridge pickup, or pretty much any other tone you can think about inbetween! These pickups are amazing, they are the best pickups I have ever used and would reccomend them to anyone who wants there guitar to sound pro.

this guitar is ideal for the styles of music I play, I couldnt have hoped for a better guitar. I have been playing 5 years now and own an Encore Strat copy, Fender highway 1 showmaster and now this Gibson SG Special Voodoo. If it was stolen I would definitely buy another, if I could afford to! one thing I am a bit unnsure about is the body material, swampash, although a very nice material, it is strange as it is so light the neck outweighs it, this takes a bit of getting used to! When I was looking to buy a new guitar I also looked at the Gibson SG Standard and the Gibson Les Paul but after doing a bit of reading about this one seemed the better, I'm glad I chose this one. I think locking strap buttons would be a usefull addition tho. If your looking for a reliable, versatile, brilliantly sounding guitar then you should seriously consider the Gibson SG Special Voodoo.

i have not had a chance to use this guitar in front of a live audiance yet but I very much doubt there being any problems at all with it, except maybe a snapped string, I would be confident using this guitar without a backup. The finish is top class, im not sure what it is coated with but you get a special liquid to clean it without damaging the finish. However I have noticed a small amount of wear on the bridge from playing it, hardly noticable but this may become more apparent after time. The strap buttons are standard SG ones, ok for my use but you may prefer locking ones.

When I got the guitar it was a bit dusty but still perfectly in tune and mark free, the setup of the hardware was perfect. the only flare I noticed was with the case, one locking bracket had been bent and damaged the case ever so slightly, but not the guitar, this im sure I can live with.

Made in 2003 in the USA. Manufactured in: Nashville, TN BODY Species: Swamp Ash NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.818" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.963" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 19th fret FINGERBOARD Species: Ebony Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.062" Nut Width: 111/16 Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Red pearl acrylicVoodoo skull at fifth fret HARDWARE Plating Finish: Black Chrome Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Black top hat with red numbers Tuners: Grover kidney ELECTRONICS Pickups: Black Magic double-slug 496R/500T, black/red coils Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch CASE Exterior: Red Python Hardshell Interior: Black Plush Silkscreen: Black/Red 'Gibson USA' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046

leonkennedy74
    mjj4 wrote: im debating between the sg voodoo or sg standard :S what do you all think??
    voodoo
    scotland-sg
    i am considering selling my ltd edition voodoo sg but am unsure how much it would be worth now. i paid 700 for it but have customised it with seymour duncan hot rodded humbuckers and sperzel locking machine heads. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Harry_66
    I spent a whole day trying to find a gibsons solid guitar... when the voodoo first came into my eyes and when I played the very first chord on it I knew it... I think is the perfect guitar for any SOAD fan... it just rocked the hell out of me...
    tknott
    Will trade voodoo sg for sg standard tknott@thomknottagency.com
    gibson-sg-rocks
    that looks terrible. I'm sure it sounds good though, its a gibson. I played an SG special, and it wouldnt hold tune at all. and it sucked balls. so i got an SG standard instead, only a few hundred bucks extra, and a completely different sound. My strings can withstand the temperatures of the sun. i am just amasing. lol.
    ksmash5
    I found one for $500 bucks.. the headstock was cracked but was "professionally fixed" it's pretty worn down in some spots too.. Think it's still worth it? will the headstock being broken and then repaired affect the sound any?
    will-loves-zep
    leonkennedy74 wrote: yea theres one on guitar center web site its in hollywood but they wil ship if u want it, its 700. i just bought a gibson '91 sg standard for 400$. does anyone know how to get a paint job like the voodoo?
    have u ever seen tony iommi's sg, its kinda silvery purple. he left it in a hot car for hours and the paint got ****ed. i would love to try it but don't have the money. but if your crazy enough go for it!
    leonkennedy74
    Justice_Fish
    It's funny to see that the Voodoo Les Paul is pure crap and Voodoo SG is one of the best guitars. I wonder if the SG is Discontinued as the Explorer, V, and Les Paul.
    mjj4
    im debating between the sg voodoo or sg standard :S what do you all think??
    kaptink
    thunderinblack wrote: why do gibson always discontinue there better models it stupid
    They tend not to sell as well, most people would rather shell out for the classic LP's and SG's.
    Mahoru
    Yes, this is a very good guitar. I only changed the pickups for a pair of EMG 81-HA cause I wanted a more agressive sound.
    scotland-sg
    re: my last post, the voodoo sg also comes with the original snake-skin hardcase.