SG Special Voodoo review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Special Voodoo

This has a slightly darker louder sound than your average SG which I attribute to the different pickups. I play mostly punk rock and some older metal and it suits those just fine. The only problem I've had with the sound is that in order to get clean tones you have to turn down the volume quite a bit on the guitar which slightly shortens the sustain. But overall this guitar has a huge sound that should work for all types of music.

This is a good match for punk and metal as well as most forms of rock and blues. I have been playing now for several years and have gone through several guitars (this and an early '80s Epiphone Strat copy are currently the only two guitars I own) and I can easily see myself playing this far into the future. I love this guitar for its sound and the only thing I dislike about it is its moderate tuning stability problems (which I plan to remedy eith locking tuners) If it were stolen I'd try to find another one (they don't make theese anymore and I got one of the last ones ever produced). I got this as a gift so I didn't get to do much comparison shopping but this is one of the best axes I've evr had the pleasure of owning, the only thing that would make this better would be a Vibrola tailpiece and locking tuners.

This guitar is made for live playing (as all good guitars are). The hardware is excellent as (of course deppending on how much you move around locking strap pins may be a wise addition) and looks like it will last a lifetime. I would definitely depend on this guitar but would never play any guitar without a backup (hey random bad stuff happens) but I'm sure this axe could pull through if I had too. As I stated before the finish appears like it will last probably for the life of the guitar with proper care.

The action was set perfectly at the factory as was the intonation. Hell it was almost perfectlyin tune when I got it out of the box. The only problem was that the bridge pickup was set way too high but that was easily corrected. I also had to add pickup mounts (the guitar came with the pickups mounted directly to the pickgaurd, which I though looked kinda cheap) doing this also angled the neck pickup which made it sound better. The finish is very attractive and was flawless.

This axe is essentially a standard SG with a baddass black and red finnish, an ebony fretboard, and some really hot, loud pickups. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a stopbat tailpiece (pretty much standard for an SG) and grover tuners. It also comes with a wonderfull hardshell Faux Python skin case and an adjustment sool with a phillips head screwdriver and a hex socket wrench for adjusting the truss rod.