SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Purchased from: Mars Music

I have been playing all sorts of styles-rock, metal, blues-and this guitar works great for each one. With the 3-way channel-switching and the 2 tone controls- you can pretty much get this thing anywhere from a warm, fat sounding blues appeal all the way to a tangy, Nirvana-type sound.

I use a BOSS metalzone distortion pedal and a Digitech Flanger, as well as my amps' built in overdrives. I got this thing running through a Marshall MG100HDFX head and a Marshall 1960A cab. I also play through a Marshall MG30DFX combo when im not with the band. Either way this guitar gives out a rich sound for whatever style i choose to play.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and this one for about one. I also own an ESP ex300 or something, i dont remember the model name really, but the Gibson sounds much better (however, the ESP was half the price). If this got stolen or lost id be pissed as hell, and id probably get another. My favorite feature is the clean sound. I'd suggest this for anyone who's looking for a versatile guitar that they can take on the road and not have to worry about.

I've been playing with this guitar live for about 9 months, and ive owned it for about 11. I replaced the Gibson strap buttons with strap-locks, but even befor that it hadn't fallen. The finish seems good enough to last me a long time (which i plan on having this for), and ive used this for virtually every show without a backup, the strings hardly even break. The only thing that sucks about this guitar is that it seems to get out of tune a bit faster than my others, but i think the sound quality makes up for that.

When I first bought this guitar the shop told me to bring it back in a week or so so that they could make any adjustments. So I came back and got the bridge raised a tad. One of the Gibson factory pickups was a little loose so I got that taken care of too. Other than those couple things, this guitar was lookin pretty good.

This is a recently made guitar-made in the USA. It has 22 frets, and a laminated top. Mine is a shiny ebony. It comes with the gibson-brand tuners but i suggest goin straight to Grovers. Its got the maplewood neck with the pearl box inlays. Jumbo frets and a fat neck. It comes with a case with a cool pink furry inside and here are some more features-

Body/Mahogany
Pickups/
490R Alnico magnet humbucker
498T Alnico magnet humbucker
Controls/
Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch
Strings/
Brite Wires .009-.042

mysteryguitar
    Metallica32791
    i really couldnt give a **** what people say about the SG, i love mine, given it had a kind of muffled clean from the neck at first. i changed the pickups to burstbuckers, and this thing screams, i couldnt be more happy with it
    jcs5234
    cam201 wrote: i personally think that the sound quality it very poor nowdays. they lost their great sound back in 1979 when ACDC recorded their last album with a great legend. if you are an acdc fan you will know that the sound quality is steadily getting more shithouse with every album. malcolm young's gretche has a purely awesome sound and still does even with these new amps. SOUND QUALITY: SG: 5/10 GRETCHE:10/10
    you do realize that angus young uses vintage sgs right?
    SgGuru
    I dont see how people can dislike this guitar. It weighs considerably less than a LP, it is extreamly versatile, and it looks magnificent
    fire within
    i would love to have the gibson model but i can't afford it. i do have the epiphone equivelent(the g-400) and it rocks like no other guitar i have ever played. my advice, get the epi and if you want to, put a new set of pickups in
    Fmc
    I ordered my Gibson SG Standard HC yesterday. I have it in a week, I'm so happy Can't wait 'till then
    Zeppelin_31
    You tell those wouldn't-know-a-good-guit ar- if-it-fell-from-heaven-an d- landed-on-their-head b*****ds,Zeppelin_31 Are you saying this in a good way or a bad way. I just got the guitar and it might just be the best thing that ever happend to me.
    ECwomantoneman
    Its in a good way all right. Just playing the SG was maybe the best thing that's ever happened to me
    Lightning Bolt
    Hate to burst to those who say that Gibsons are based off there looks for reason people by them. SG's aren't the only ones that get bought, The sound out of Gibson can be really nice depending on what type of genre of music your in and what kind of Guitar that you want. Fenders are good, but not my type of Guitar I want. Other guitars are great. By far The Gibson is my favorite on the top. My point here is to tell you all to not say anything to put other people in a bad situation because The more you open your mouth and Say shit means you cause others to quit or otherwise worst. Just lay off, whether it's the truth or not.
    Zeppelin_31
    Orneblad : I HAVE A PROBLEM!! i've worked in some money now but i dont know what's best to buy; gibson les paul standard or sg? is the les paul woth it?
    To tell you the truth, a Les Paul does look nice, but the SG is completelyy worth it. The thing about the Les Paul is that the 3 way switch is on the top of the guitar which can be very difficult to use. With and SG, you still get the looks, the sound, and a switch that you can hit when you downstrum. That's the way I look at it. Or just buy both
    Fmc
    I just got my Gibson SG Standard since yesterday. It's such an awesome guitar! I tuned it in Drop C without any difficulties
    MIK4YC
    WOOOOOT!!!!! got one the other day. f**cking awesome. a bit too light though. for those heavy metal fans out there, u might wanna get a heavier guitar like an ibanez. but i love my gibson!
    mjj4
    guitar_killer : Dude that guy payed 200 for it i wish i could get a deal like that
    i doubt it... although it would be nice... im saving up for one of these heritage cherry yeh and all the people that hate these, are the people who like fenders... fender = plywood shit gibson = sex all the people that are jipping off the gibson probrably own squire strats... peace, gibson sg standard is pure ownage mr gibson is a legend and i think we should thank him
    ksmash5
    ^I agree. When you hear all this supreme, special faded, advanced mumbo jumbo it's much less attractive. When you hear Standard you almost always know it's good.
    JayWalk
    stop complaining about gibson being overpriced, if you don't have money, live with it. just buy cheap ass guitars according to your own income, don't be jealous to those people who can buy gibson guitars peace. gibson is awsome, the best guitar ever.
    MIK4YC
    lol so true
    ECwomantoneman
    How exactly could this SG only be given an avg. score of barely 9? I've played one and may I say, they are absolutely the dog's b****cks!!!!!
    steven1956
    I own a 1972 version and it still kicks... I use it mainly for slide (open) tunings...however it needs some fret board work and as with most owners of the SG the neck can get busy...you have to pay attention to you truss rod adjustments...
    redSG
    I absolutely LOVE my SG. I wouldnt trade it for anything. I think my soul is bound to it. I LOVE IT.
    Acorn
    Spartan 117
    dude why'd you bring acc/dc in to this? do you really think there sound is deteriorating? well let's see, considering they are rich and lately have been using nothing but VINTAGE equipment. (angus used a '64 sg on ballbreaker) dude i think stiff upper lip was there best record since blow up your video. all the songs rocked and did NOT sound like a shithole youretard mysteryguitar wrote: cam201 : people get sg's for there looks to people who hate SG's, go buy one...just stop complaining cause you cant get a decent one
    yeah i agree i got one of the best possible 2005 models. NOBODY has ever hated the damn thing. Acorn wrote: for those who hate sg's, sure spent a lot of time going to the reviews and posting comments.
    excactly. why bother us people who don't spend all day sg bashing?
    Spartan 117
    shit it ****ed up my post. anything in quotes that is in bold white font is what i wrote
    Spartan 117
    ZGS wrote: Beautiful guitar! I only wish the pickups were a lil bit hotter. The neck pickup in the standards sounds kinda 'short' y'know? I'm buying a sg faded soon, (hell yeah!) only because the 'buckers are a bit hotter. Oh yeah, and it's cheaper.
    dude the faded sg has a 490T and that isn't as hot as a 498T on the standard
    Mahoru
    It's one of the nicest guitars I've played. I changed the pickups (they were very good, but they didn't get me the sound I wanted) for a DiMarzio Evolution (B) and Gibson Classic 57 (N), and now (and with the ebony finish), it owns!!! And it's a very versatile guitar if you know how to play it: I play death metal with it and sounds better than my old B.C. Rich Beast.
    Bleed Blue
    I have one and it is awesome...I have it in black. I think it looks best in black. And why is everyone saying hte sound sucks...IT'S AWESOME. With a Marshall Half-Stack it sounds great. The only problem was the price...i'm not rich...the Marshall was expensive too...the standard pick-ups sound best to me...and they are just sexy...
    steveCFH
    My friend has this and the neck is ****ing heavy. It doesn't balance properly. The ESP Viper is superior.
    relientkrock
    I'v got an idea, lets all get SGs cause Jack Black uses one on school of rock. YAAAY!!!