SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Purchased from: Witchita Band, KS

It's a Gibson, enough said. It sounds amazing compared to my old Squire Strat. Fills in great for both lead and rhytmn, clean or distorted. I can't say much about it because all I have is a crummy practice an with low grade distortion, but even through the Fender Frontman amps you can see a clearly superiour sound than most guitars that get plugged in there.

I got everything I wanted out of this purchase, for the price you can defenitly not get anything better. I've been playing for about 2 years, and although it's a big buy for someone who hasn't been playing that long I don't regret it. If I would have to buy it again, I might go for the 61 re-issue or the Supreme, since I *love* those pickups, but it would defenitly be another SG.

This is definitely the guitar you want to take along with you live on stage. Everything is built solid and the finish looks fantastic! I don't expect any problems from this one for years.

When ordered, I specifically asked for low action without fret buzzing. Well I got the low action, but I had to redo the setup myself more than a few times to get it to stop buzzing. The tuning knobs on the saddle are very hard to adjust. I got it done eventually, but the action ended up a little higher than I wanted.

This is the most recent purchase and definetly one of my favorites. Made in the USA in 2003, I've had this guitar since last October without any major problems. Classic Alnico pickup with chrome covers and beautiful inlays as well as a solid mahogany body made me choose this one instead of the SG Special. Also came with Gibson HSC with locking feature. It was well worth it. 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard make this easy to play and sounds great.