SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Purchased from: Sam Ash in New York

It suits rock (and all under rock, such as metal, punk etc.) very well. I also play Jazz, and that works out very well with it. It has a very rich sound. It has alot of variety because you can play from Metallica to The Beatles. All the pedals I use are Boss. I use the "Metal Zone", looping pedal, tremlo, all that I use a Crate GXS series. I have the 65 watt for home and then the larger 200-something watts one for gigs.

I play in a cover band that does stuff from Green Day to Led Zepplin. I also play in a Metal band, and at school I play in a Jazz group the school had formed. What I love about it is the wide neck because I have fairly large hands and it doesen't feel cramped to me. I compared it to a Fender Stratocaster, The Gibson SG Special, Gibson SG Supreme, and Fender Telecaster. I compared it to all of these because I didn't know which SG to get, and before I was seriously thinking about getting an SG, I had to compare it with others. I wouldnt buy it again, because they're too expensive, and I have a Les Paul that I've been wanting to use for awhile, but that I've limited to recording only. I also sort of want to get a Fender Strat, anyway. I've been playing for 10 years (I'm about to be 15). I chose the SG because I loved AC/DC and their sound, and I wanted it.

I have already played this live several times, with no backup. My gigs have been from 1 song to 2 hours long. Everything that should last seems like it's going to last. The finish is great. Just polish it up and it's good to go. I took one strap button out and put it in the top horn, and that's working out quite well.

The factory settings on the Tune-O-Matic bridge were quite bad, because what would happen if you use firmer picks, the string would split where it rested on the tuneomatic bridge. This can be fixed by rasing the stopbar tailpiece, though.

This was a Summer 2004 Gibson SG made here in the USA like most of them. It had 22 frets and the neck was pretty wide as usual SGs come. I really like the Gibson pickups with the nickel covers. They sound great. The Gibson tuners come out of tune slightly If I haven't played it for awhile. The Gibson Hardshell case came with it, and that is really durible. It dropped off the top of our car when we were going down the road at about 30 miles an hour and it stood up really well. The lock on it was the only thing that broke. There's the 3-way selector and 2 volume and 2 tone nobs. There's the tune-o-matic bridge on it which is nice.