SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Purchased from: Coda Music

I play a lot of rock music, from Chili Peppers to Iron Maiden; and a range of dark and bright music, soft and really heavy music, a bit of everything rock. This guitar is absolutely perfect for all this and more. It has a lovely clean sound, perfect for anything, I especially like the fingerpicking arpeggio thing; but you can do almost anything in the clean channel. Distorted is where you feel the true power of the SG. It is f--king amazing. You can get any tone you like, just play around with the tone buttons and the three-way Switch. You can get lovely sounds for heavy power chord riffs, fast wah solos, slow melodic solos, fast punky riffs and literally anything else. This is just what I do with my band. Everything sounds incredible. Pinch harmonics, solos, power chords, other chords, sweep picking, finger picking, octaves, clean and distorted, any other effects. I use my Boss Turbo Distortion pedal, and will be using a CryBaby Wah pedal and a Marshall soon. It will sound amazing. Just avoid the overdrive, it ruins the sound (even though the SG does Shine through). Use real distortion.

I play a mix of rock styles, from Iron Maiden influenced to Creed influenced. In my band we play metal, gunge, rock, emo, some punk. This guitar is perfect for all. I've been playing, well, long enough. Never had the money for decent equipment but here it is, the wait paid off. I own this guitar, a Boss Turbo Distortion, and will be playing through a Marshall and a Crybaby soon. The perfect set-up. If someone stole this instrument from me, well just don't try it okay you wouldn't get very far. And you wouldn't get anywhere after I've finished with you. But I treat it like my baby so it won't get stolen. But if I did lose it, I'd buy another. Straight away. The things I love about the guitar: sound, amazing tones, amazing clean and distorted sounds; action, very easy to play, very fast and losta space for the higher frets with high solos; appearance, this beast is a beauty, even better when you own it it looks so much nicer. I love the whole guitar. And also the case, this case is awesome, it gives the guitar what it deserves. I like this guitar more than the Les Paul. More sound options and easier to play, it kicks the Les Paul's ass. And Ieven prefer it to the PRS Customs. No I'm not mad. I love it more. 17 and I have the guitar of my dreams. Buy this guitar you need one. IF you only ever own one guitar this is the one.

This guitar will withstand live playing, you need this guitar at a gig. It will last if looked after, its a Gibson, treat it like one and it will repay you with years of music and gigging and even outlive you. The strap buttons are solid, I am going to change them to strap locks though, not because of the guitar but so I can feel happy about playing it with a strap. A Gibson needs this kinda protection. The finish seems good enough to last. Like I said, this is Gibson anyway. I can depend on this guitar. I don't want a backup guitar. I wouldn't need one. I am willing to tour the world with this guitar and no other. Lotsa strings though 'cause I will never put the baby down.

This guitar couldn't have been set up better. Action on the fingerboard is amazing, it is so fast. You have full access to the highest frets, one of the first things that attracted me to the guitar. So easy and nice to play. The finish is lovely. You should see the guitar in the flesh, shining and beautiful. No photo can compare to it. There were no flaws with this guitar when I bought it, everything was perfect.