SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Purchased from: Wray's Music House (Family Owned Business)

Wonderful above-average sound. I was lucky and actully got a good current-day Gibson. I use a Ibanez TB15R which has the best tone I ever heard out of a 15 watt amp. I don't use any effects but when my friend uses it with his pedals it sounds good. I play Rock, Blues, Metal (Judas Priest/Iron Maiden type stuff) It is ideal for that music. The pickups sound great, I just keep them stock, though I've heard there are better ones. I have my amp set to these specs: bass - 6, mids - 4, treb - 8, reverb - 0, gain - 7-8, volume - 10. It sounds great on taht some other settings too, but tahts mainly what I use for the AC/DC like sound, which is also very good for everything else basically.

I'm 14. I worked my butt off to get this thing. I've only been playing for a little more than 2 years, but I'm one hell of a player. This is my only real guitar. (I do have a Squier mini, but that's cause I used to be under 5 feet tall. Now I'm 5'5) If someone stole this, I would cry so much and hunt down the guy Who stole it and beat him up, because this guitar defines my personality and it is a part of me. I love everything except those weak upper frets. I probably should of compared it to other guitars but I was hellbent on getting my SG and I made the right decision. It's small. I'm small. It's light. I'm light. I'm happy with it's simplicity, and I love the horns. This is the sexiest guitar ever made. I do wish it had that tremolo the Vintage ones had, just because it looks cool. I would not use it but coolness is important. Even without it though, it's the coolest guitar ever.

This guitar definently can survive every gig I'll ever play. I jump around like an idiot, so I have to watch what I'm doing, but the guitar takes it. The hardware, except for that dumb nut, all lasts. The first day I got it I was playing and dropped it on it's headstock, but nothing was wrong with it, so I immediately got strap locks. I can depend on it, but what I can't depend on is strings, so of course I would bring a back up guitar.

The action is good, but the upper frets (around the B blues box an octave up) you really need to push them to get them to play good. The pickups are awesome, the finish looks great. It does not go out of tune really easy unless you bang the headstock. The only real trouble is the nut. I'm having it replaced, but it got really cracked ever since I had it. the high E string used to pop out and drop tuning almost an octave until I lubed it! So here's a warning, Gibson does piss poor jobs on there nuts. Other than that, Everything is in top shape!