SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

It sounds great for rock, blues, and even prog metal. I'm playing it through a Vox AD30VT, and either a Zakk Wylde MXR or Boss OD-3, or a CryBaby Wah. On the treble setting, it seems just about perfect. It's not too bright, but not dull. I find it perfect for stuff like Zeppelin, AC/DC (obviously) and other rock. On the rythym setting, it's kind of dull. I don't like it too much. I mostly keep that side turned all the way down, and Switch between rythym and treble for a killswitch effect.

Overall, this is just a perfect guitar for someone like me. I have been playing for 4 years, but I'm not really that good. I have the technical skills, but no vast knowledge of scales, theory etc. For someone Who knows they for sure love guitar, and will continue to play, you can not go wrong with a Gibson SG! This is great for playing all the classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton (especially his Deric and the Dominoes stuff), AC/DC, the list goes on. It's versatile, in that it can play Strat songs like Jimi Hendrix thihngs, and still sound good. Also it is good for prog rock and other things like Rage Against The Machine. All in all, a very very versatile guitar! Compared to my Epiphone and Yamaha, well, it is so much better in every way. If this a step up from your first or second guitar, then you will not be disappointed! If this were stolen or broken or something, I would not hesitate to buy another.

The guitar is so light, yet very solid too. It feels very high quality. The hardware all seems really solid and durable, and the strap buttons are fine. I would never play a gig without a backup, but if I absolutely had to, then I would use this for sure.

The guitar was set up perfectly from the factory, but I will take in in to the shop anyway, hey it's free. The pickups are good, the bridge was a little bit too close to the strings in my opinion. Everything on the guitar is build perfectly, the finish was great from the factory. Everything seems to be really good quality, flawless.

This is a 2008 Gibson SG Standard, made in USA! It has a 22 fret mahogany neck, '60s style. Solid mahogany body, the colour, Heritage cherry, is gorgeous. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and Standard Gibson tuners (which hold tune well, so far). It has 2 passive humbuckers, 490T and 498T. It came from the factory with a form-fitting, combination locking hardshell case, which is very nice.