SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

Price paid: € 999

Purchased from: The Music Outlet

I play mostly classic and hard rock and the occasional bit of metal, and I couldn't find a better guitar suited to those genres. I play a lot of AC/DC, and of course, it can deliver that killer Angus Young tone. I only have a Roland Micro Cube at home but I have played it through proper Marshall stacks and it just sounded absolutely amazing, I think Marshall's are the best amp to play this guitar through. I think an SG sounds best with as much treble and brightness as possible, I nearly always play with the bridge pickup. The strings I use are Gibson Brite Wires, and they do me fine.

As I said before, I mostly play hard rock and this guitar is perfectly suited to my style. The only other electric guitar I had before I got this was a Cort M600, which isn't a patch on the SG. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again (Providing I had the money for it). What I love about this guitar is that it's just so comfortable to play and is my perfect guitar, it is really easy to get the tones you want from it and it looks really cool as well. I don't hate anything about it, and I wouldn't change anything with it, for me, it's perfect. When I was buying this guitar, I was strongly considering a Les Paul Studio, which was a much heavier guitar and I felt that when I played it, it just wasn't the right guitar for me.

This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing, I have accidentally hit it off some things like table and furniture corners a few times and it crashed to the ground in the case but it didn't damage the guitar at all. The hardware is very durable and well made, they will last a long long time. The strap buttons seem solid enough, I am certainly not paranoid over the strap buttons, I don't use strap locks either. It's made by Gibson, it's one of the most reliable and durable guitars on the market so of course I would use it at a gig without a backup. The finish hasn't faded or worn since I got it and it doesn't seem like it's going to fade much either.

Well it was set up perfectly in the factory, and when I say perfect, I mean perfect (Well, nearly perfect!). The pickups were fine as they were, the action was perfect, the strings always stay in tune (my other guitar which is a Cort M600 goes out of tune really easily so that is really annoying), nothing was wrong with it. I haven't had to adjust anything once since I got it. Although there was a minor dent in the neck around the fourth fret, so that's why I am docking a couple of marks from this section. It is hardly noticeable though, and I'm sure that only happens to one in every million guitars at the Gibson factory, so don't let that put you off buying one!

My SG is a 2008 Standard, and it was hand made in the U.S.A. (Like all Gibsons). It has 22 frets, the neck is really fat, probably one of the fattest necks you'll find on a guitar. It's a solid body guitar, made with mahogany. With two cutaways the upper frets are easily accessed. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, there are two volume knobs and two tone knobs, and a three way pickup selector Switch. The tuners are Gibson Deluxes, they are non-locking. I got a Gibson U.S.A. Hard case and an owners manual with this guitar. The case also has a handy little storage compartment you can put picks, spare strings, tuners, capos, slides and other useful accessories.