SG Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard

You can play any kind of music with a SG. I play blues, rock and punk, and I couldn't ask for a better sound. The neck pickup is really soft and smooth with the right amount of punch, perfect if you want that acoustic sound. You can make this guitar scream, cry, shout and moan, and you'll love every note that comes out of it.

A SG is the only guitar you'll need, if you can afford it. For $1100, this guitar is not for someone who has other hobbies beside guitar. If you can scrape together the money, I would highly recommend this guitar to anyone. It's best features (besides the crown inlay on the headstock) are the double cutaways and neck shape. I've played Les Pauls and the single cutaway is really annoying when trying to reach the upper frets. So other than the price, this is arguably the greatest guitar out there.

The strap buttons are the only thing I can complain about with this guitar. I've dropped this guitar more times than i can count, but the worst that's happened is the finish chipped away a little bit, so i replaced them with Schaller strap locks. Other than that, it's solid. The mahogany neck and body are very stable and will probably never break.

The only annoying thing was when I got my SG, there was cellophane on the pickguard and it was under all the screws. So I had to take off the pickguard and remove the pickups just to get the cellophane off. But other than that, it was set up just fine at the factory.

My SG's a 2010 model made in the U.S. with 22 frets, a solid mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard, and a beautiful cherry finish. And the "tulip" tuners not only look cool, but they are more solid than you'd expect from plastic tuners. It also came with a hardshell case that's practically bomb-proof.