SG Standard '60s review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Standard '60s

This guitar sounds fantastic clean with alot of reverb to replicate compression which gives it a rich bright sound that sounds great playing hendrix or any classic pete townsend riff and you can get the best overdriven distorted zz top or AC/DC riff. The burstbucker 1 is got a mellow bluesy sound to and the burstbucker 3 has a ripping heavy sound.

I play hard rock and heavy metal and physicdelic rock. I've been playing guitar over a year now. If it were stolen I would hope there'd be another one in circulation so I could buy it. The thing that I love on this guitar is the tuners and the neck binding and the coil taps.

This guitar will withstand playing live and then some.all the hardware is solid. This is a guitar I can depend on. The strap buttons are solid as a rock and the finish is this dark rich cherry that will list a lifetime. And the inlays are beautiful but I don't know if there acrylic or real pearl. Probaly acrylic since its not a custom.

This guitar was ready to play straight out of the box everything was perfect. I changed the strings a day or two after I got it to some ernie balls. The hardware was flawless and the finish was flawless the electronics were made to perfection. I still haven't taken off the protective film off the pickguard.

This guitar is a limited run SG and not to confuse anyone it has features from the 60's SG and The Standard SG out into one. This Guitar was made in november 2010 in Nashville, TN, USA. One ironic thing when I got the guitar on the case it said "Gibson USA" and next to it there was a sticker with a maple leaf that said case made in canada. It has a 60' neck profile with 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard with creme binding. The neck and body are both mahogany. It has a cherry finish and the iconic devil horn double cutaway. It has a tune-o-matic brige. It has passive Gibson burstbucker 1 in the rhthym position and burstbucker 3 in the treble position and both have coil taps. The tuners are the green grover tuners and it came with a hardshell case. This is worth the money.

digman50
    guys don't be harsh he's been playing for "over a year" he clearly knows what he's talking about...
    thejester
    p0enut
    thejester wrote: Prisoner5 wrote: Really, you're been playing over a year and you dropped 1500 on a guitar? Well, I guess that actually kind of proves it. I've never liked the idea of dropping that much on a guitar, look at what Jack White does with $50 guitars. look at what jimmy page does and slash does with 2-5k guitars. its preference man. let it rest and let the kid be happy. here is my philosophy out of all the guitars i have ever owned i have paid for each one out of my own pocket by working my ass off for that money. if you have the money and it makes you happy buy it. same principle with buying a car, if the bmw makes you happier than the honda, buy it if you can!
    [slow clap] here here...and amen. Well said. I say, "live and let live." I mean, Jesus. This world isn't exactly easy to live in these days. If it makes you happy...so be it. ...and, incidentally, I hate these guitar snobs who make fun of the guitar "newbs." They seem to forget: they were once "newbs" too. Not everyone comes outta the gate shredding like Eddie. It's like...get over yourselves, ya know?
    weiq
    im guessing u just started out playing guitar...
    fuzzthedog
    Kaptain Tripps wrote: Sounds like a pretty sweet guitar...but what the hell is physicdelic rock?!
    You know Jimi Hendrix? That's psychedelic.
    jesse1994
    Gary.Blizzard
    Eehhh, another perfect 10 guitar? If it was so great, you should have put more time into that review right there.
    weiq
    its the music u make when u do Physics assesments on Acid all at the same time
    maximumrocker
    Vabolo wrote: piszczel wrote: one of the ugliest guitars ever made, i honestly dont understand why do people like it so much Because not everyone has the same opinion. And some people want to look like "the guy from AC/DC".
    personally i love the why the guitar looks and if with the right gear it has a great rock/blues sound
    Marley Tokunaga
    Lol "the guy from AC/DC," Made me laugh so hard!
    Ceesjah
    This guitar has a great history too. While i do agree this is a fine guitar, i must also agree with the fact that money doesnt get you skill (unless you are japanese and they have some secret little machine). But still, i play my SG (Special II Gothic, you know, with the EMG's in it and stuff) through my American made Fender Hotrod DeVille 4x10, and it sounds like a charm. Lots of sweet settings. I like this review
    Lilttle Angus
    Grungic wrote: i presume this is a Gibson SG 61' reissue..I bought one of those an year ago and.. what a guitar! the neck is pretty thin like the first models so it's so easy to play it and the 57' Humbuckers give it the crunchy blues-rock tone..Great purchase
    No its a standard 60's thats a new model gibson released to guitar center and is different in many ways from the 61 reissue . did you read my review
    Grungic
    Rockers2Rockers
    Wow! Some of you critters are a bit harsh. So what if 'Little Angus' has the pingers to go buy an SG. To me it shows he is serious about music and is prepared to buy an expensive guitar. Good On Ya Mate! At least he didn't buy $1500 worth of crack. And 'Pizsczel' has obviously not played an SG, I don't own an SG(got a 1958 Les Paul Junior though, Lol yes made in 1958!) but have used rental instruments SGs on tour, but Pizs buddy, an SG is a very versatile guitar that can cope with any style and genre of music. So 'Little Angus' ignore the haters and sarcastic twats, and you do what you have to do in your pursuit of music and sonic bliss. And your SG review was good. I and others could follow what you said. Peace and more power to you!
    YgO
    one of the ugliest guitars ever made
    Of course, everyone has an opinion, but I love the look of the SG. It's like a nice mix of a Les Paul and a Strat and with the horns being almost symmetrical, it's like devil horns! A very comfortable shape for sitting down. I'd have to get used to the neck shape though. Hard to find one with a whammy bar too. I think ESP makes a similar shape with a Floyd Rose on it. Haven't tried the ESP yet.
    p0enut
    Lilttle Angus
    actually the only thing in the pic that is wrong is the pickups are open reverse zebra ill upload i pic of it soon.
    TheDanny385SG
    well this is actually ne of the best looking guitars I have honestly seen, while still being simple
    jesse1994said: I think people care more about sound then looks. If people cared more about looks then bands would sound shitty as hell
    most already do :/
    Prisoner5
    Really, you're been playing over a year and you dropped 1500 on a guitar? Well, I guess that actually kind of proves it. I've never liked the idea of dropping that much on a guitar, look at what Jack White does with $50 guitars. But I'm sure it is great. I used to only be able to play fenders because of the fretboard radius and the neck profile, and a Gibson SG was the first guitar I could play that wasn't fender, and allowed me to get a new feel for my Schecter. So power to you, but realize that this guitar wont make you good.
    death eater
    I don't mind the Sg. It's a nice tone, it's just not for me. The body is too thin and with me being a big guy I feel cautious everytime I pick one up.
    Ceesjah
    I love how my SG looks. I got a black one, and it sounds great too. Great playability, i love it Opinions will always be different.
    thejester
    i like the burstbuckers in here but for my money i will stick with my 61' sg. i bought mine new for 1200 and imo it is a way better guitar much more classic, but i am glad you enjoy your guitar reviewer, but next time you need to write a lot of info especially under the sound. what do you play it through pedals etc, where does it not sound good, how does it clean up etc. there might be a perfect 10 guitar for some people but there are limitation to every guitar as well
    sheppo
    Ive seen SG's in pretty much all genres of music so they must be pretty versatile. One of my first guitars was an Epiphone SG and the thing put out some serious crunch
    Vabolo