SG Supreme review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Supreme

Purchased from: Retrotown music.

I play this guitar through a Laney VH100R. On the clean channel using the bridge pickup, the guitar is quite bright and twangy. It's very reminiscent of a Fender style single coil albeit a bit fatter sounding. The rhythm pickup is very fat sounding, great for chording and Jazzy stuff I reckon. Moving on to a Rock style distortion, the guitar gets very aggressive. The bridge pickup is very nasty sounding (not in a bad way mind you). It almost growls. The guitar still retains clarity, and it sustains quite a bit. The neck pickup is very creamy, leads are very smooth. Kicking on a Metal style distortion, the guitar screams in the bridge position. Leads just jump out. Riffing isn't all that great with this type of distortion but leads are humongous. The neck pickup suffers a little bit with this style distortion, it starts to get muddy but is still plenty usable. I thought I should also mention that this guitar is very quiet, I couldn't hear any of the 60 cycle hum that is usually associated from single coils. This is due to Gibson throwing in a dummy pickup in the control cavity, which acts as a hum-canceler of sorts.

I play everything from pop to metal. I've been playing for two years and own many guitars. This guitar is one of the best if you want a no holds barred, hard rock tone. The cleans are also magnificent. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy the guitar again. I highly recommend this guitar.

I've played this a guitar Live at a couple of clubs and it held up great. The hardware is quality and seems like it will last a long time. The strap buttons are pretty solid but I'd recommend some form of strap locks. Nothing is more embarrassing and infuriating than dropping your guitar while playing, especially if it breaks. This guitar is very dependable and I would probably gig without backup but you can never be too careful. The finish is great and will probably last longer then myself.

The guitar was set up great from the factory. The action was a bit low for my tastes so I raised it a tad. The pickups were adjusted great. The top is gorgeous and was properly book matched. Everything was routed without flaw. The only gripe I had with this guitar was the nut wasn't cut all that well. I filed it down some and it was fine.

The SG Supreme is a double cutaway solid-body guitar by Gibson. It features a AA flame maple top, mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard with split Diamond inlays, body and neck binding. This model is an '01 and comes with P-90 pickups as apposed to the dual humbuckers of the more recent models. The hardware is the same as the current model, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 3-way toggle switch, and Grover tuners. The guitar comes with a hardshell case.